installing wads via usb drive (not gecko)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by slimpyman, Aug 14, 2008.

1. slimpyman
    OP

slimpyman GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN
    is there possibly a way to install wads via a usb drive? i dont have an sd card available

2. samsam12

samsam12 Test

Banned
    May 13, 2008
    United States
    A House
    yes, but to install homebrew, you need a sd card. there really cheap.

3. slimpyman
    OP

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN
    i already got the homebrew channel going... its just homebrew channel doesnt support usb drives. am i correct?

4. samsam12

samsam12 Test

Banned
    May 13, 2008
    United States
    A House
    yes, but you can use wiiload if your wii is connected to the internet. once you get it set up, get wad manager 1.1. make a folder called wad in the root of your usb device, then put your wad files there.

how to set up wiiload: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiiload

5. F0ur2o

F0ur2o GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    Canada
    Wadmanager still requires an SD in the slot even if your reading the wad folder from USB IIRC.

I could be wrong

6. slimpyman
    OP

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN
    ok... it could be... i keep getting error ret -1

maybe i do need an sd in the slot. any alternatives, since i dont have an sd card available?

(i did do a low level format on the usb drive, and its partition is fat. so i dont think its a usb proble,

7. jbloggs

jbloggs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2008
    Here is a great guide for loading homebrew apps using FTPii

Homebrew Guide

8. slimpyman
    OP

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN

I already got the homebrew channel installed... its just i do not have an sd card. nor am i going to buy one. i just want to install some wads without having an sd card. i have a dvd burner, some blank dvds, and a usb drive. it seems the wad manager REQUIRES an sd card to install wads, even if i want to install wads from a usb drive.

9. Richy Freeway

Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 9, 2006
    Make life easy on yourself. Spend $10 and get an SD card.

10. jbloggs

jbloggs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2008

YEs, I understand that you already have the HBC, but that guide will also show you how to install Wads without SD using FTPii, check it out.

EDIT: My bad, I think it still requires SD card, but that WiiLoad method might work for you.

other than that, you can get a 2GB Kingston SD card for $7.49 (free shipping) -> Kingston 2GB SD Card - $7.49 Shipped

11. slimpyman
    OP

Aug 13, 2008
    United States
    Valparaiso, IN
    yeah. it still seems wadinstallerand wad manager Requires an sd card to install from a usb drive... haha i can load the elf's from wiiload and the wadmanager and installer WILL boot up, its just when i hit button 2 to load from usb drive, i always get error ret -1 errors. haha and i thought installing from a usb drive WOULDNT require an sd card. how dumb ;-) btw, i do have an sd card, but my gf took it with her camera cause she went on a trip. thats why im opposed to buying another sd card ;-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice