Installing real kernal on fake SNES classic

KatSuYeah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a bootleg snes classic with most of the same stuff, but the kernel on the system is a bootleg. Its got plenty of problems, like no rewind or in game saves and stuff like that. I've heard that hackchi doesn't work on bootleg kernels, but since it looks like the same hardware i figured there's probably an easy way to install a genuine kernel. Any ideas?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't say what might happen, but I think the snes classic, the genuine one at least, is pretty much brick proof. the kernel is the same for all systems, I believe, so you won't have a problem there. I don't know about a fake snes classic, whether it's brick proof or not.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if hakchi doesn't work, I'm not sure if a genuine kernel will either. I've learned a lot about mostly the nes, snes, genesis, and psx minis/classics, but I don't know if I can help with this. I don't own a bootleg.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have the kernels for both nes and snes it would appear, the original ones:

upload_2021-9-12_14-53-6.png

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've got a bootleg snes classic with most of the same stuff, but the kernel on the system is a bootleg. Its got plenty of problems, like no rewind or in game saves and stuff like that. I've heard that hackchi doesn't work on bootleg kernels, but since it looks like the same hardware i figured there's probably an easy way to install a genuine kernel. Any ideas?
It might look similar and have similar specs, but a different chip will need a different set of drivers, it's probably not as easy as you think.
In other words unless the hardware is identical it's probably not feasible.
And if the hardware was identical they'd probably have ran the official SNES Classic firmware on it to save effort. Chinese bootleggers always put in the minimum effort when they can get away with it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: spectral

KatSuYeah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if hakchi doesn't work, I'm not sure if a genuine kernel will either. I've learned a lot about mostly the nes, snes, genesis, and psx minis/classics, but I don't know if I can help with this. I don't own a bootleg.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have the kernels for both nes and snes it would appear, the original ones:

View attachment 275695
Another thread, one about adding games to a bootleg, mentioned a way to put a bootleg into usb mode. No image was attached however so I can't confirm if it's the same bootleg. I could try it.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just yesterday saw a YT video about a bootleg SNES Classic, but it had an SD card slot inside (not accesible from the outside), the video was about modding it, but didn't saw it completely as I was looking for a way to know if a SNES Classic was a bootleg or a legit one, as for the most part they look almost the same.

Let me find the video again and I'll edit my comment and post the link.

Edit:
Found it, it's in Spanish though and the voice can barely be heard:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5S8s-pCd8

Edit 2:
Saw the vid until the end, he installed RetroPie on the bootleg to be able to play and use savestates.
Also, the motherboard is red colored instead of green.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: KatSuYeah

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if the original snes classic has an sd card slot inside. what I use is an otg adapter with a usb flash drive attached. it works with both snes and genesis minis. it just doesn't remember the last game you were on when you switch between them, however it works. also, it's the otg adapter that looks like a two tentacled squid. the right angled ones randomly don't work. this one works every time for either system.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
not sure if the original snes classic has an sd card slot inside. what I use is an otg adapter with a usb flash drive attached. it works with both snes and genesis minis. it just doesn't remember the last game you were on when you switch between them, however it works. also, it's the otg adapter that looks like a two tentacled squid. the right angled ones randomly don't work. this one works every time for either system.

The original SNES Classic doesn't have a microSD card slot inside, the bootleg does.

Could you please post an image of the OTG cable? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

KatSuYeah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just yesterday saw a YT video about a bootleg SNES Classic, but it had an SD card slot inside (not accesible from the outside), the video was about modding it, but didn't saw it completely as I was looking for a way to know if a SNES Classic was a bootleg or a legit one, as for the most part they look almost the same.

Let me find the video again and I'll edit my comment and post the link.

Edit:
Found it, it's in Spanish though and the voice can barely be heard:

Edit 2:
Saw the vid until the end, he installed RetroPie on the bootleg to be able to play and use savestates.
Also, the motherboard is red colored instead of green.
Okay thank you, idk if I'll install retropie or the real kernel (assuming i CAN install the real kernel) but that's pretty nice to know.

erffquake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found a pre-made image out there that will provide SNES and NES complete US libraries.

I am too new of a user to share links but there is a youtube video called "Como instalar Retropie en SNES Classic Mini Clon con todo funcional (libero si llego a los 350 subs)" with a link to a download.
Mimic what the guy does and you're golden.

Although it must be said that NES and SNES work well, along with SMS and GEN, but beyond that the system will slow down too much.

Last edited by erffquake,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: