Installing more channels than can fit on System Menu

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by joda, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009
  1. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I have a bunch of loader channels for most of the games installed on my HDD. Combined with all my VC and WW, they don't fit the 48 (- 4-5 for system channels) slots on system menu. I have thus moved a few away to launch from the SD menu.

Every now and then, however, I remake all channels because of a swap of loader. (Did when 1.2, and 1.4, came, and probably will now for 1.5.) Since reinstalling all wads is a tedious task, I'm planning on using the old WAD Installer by Waninkoko to batch install all wads in the wad dir at once.

I can of course put in a dozen or two of channel wads, install these, move to sd with SM, rinse and repeat; which is what I'm planning on doing.

I'm just wondering at the moment what'll happen when I forget to clear out the wad-dir and manage to install all, say 50 channels, at once. It'll probably be no biggie, specifically since I have preloader and can get to Wad Manager and remove any of surplus, but I am curious if someone has experience with that happens.

Please tell!

2. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    There is this System Menu message... it doesn't let you do anything and will force you to backup (on 4.0 move) and delete channels...

I don't think anything bad will happen....

3. SanzioSan

Newcomer SanzioSan Advanced Member

United States
    No it doesnt make u delete any channels. If u run out of blocks for channels the channel will be there just unseen.
    And when u delete a channel from ur system menu one of the unseen channels replaces that one. Thats all that happens.
    I have the same problem and just have my whole wii system menu filled up with game shortcuts and all my vc/wii ware loaded from the sd
    and i deleted the photo , news , and weather channels. Im also thinking about moving the Homebrew channel to the sd card
    and deleting it from the menu but idk the risks in that.

4. itsmeoreo

Newcomer itsmeoreo Member

United States
    sanzio, i wouldnt move the hbc channel in case of an emergency

5. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Well it was 3.2 system menu's response, maybe they changed in 4.0.. what do you mean by saying "the channel will be there just unseen.", if there is no space for the installed channels how come channels could be there?

6. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    on my 3.2e system, if i ever install more channels than free mem, the wii warns me to make free room because the ram's full. just delete some unused channel and you'll be fine.
    i doubt that you can brick your wii with this.

7. joda
    OP

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    With regards to that, any downside to delete photo, news, and weather channel? (I assume you used ATD.)

8. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

[/quote]
    With regards to that, any downside to delete photo, news, and weather channel? (I assume you used ATD.)
    [/quote]

Other than the fact that until recently, it was very difficult to get them back as you would have to dump them from either an original or 1:1 backup of a game to get them, not that I know of. Of course, now you can use WiiSCU to reinstall them without any problems.

9. SanzioSan

Newcomer SanzioSan Advanced Member

United States
    No downside if u never use them...