Hacking Install CFW without a flashcart?

solidussss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. I have downgraded my 3ds from 9.2 to 4.5 using GatewayUltra 3.0.1.
Is it possible to install CFW without a flashcart? This CFW requires an 3ds flashcart right? I only have sd card and a cardreader...
Is there some CFW out there that does not require a flashcart? I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, I really don't want to buy a one even if it is cheap

mb2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't think it's possible at the moment. I'm in the same boat on 4.5 but have a 4.4 only flash card. I think flash card is the only way to install the ds profile exploit until someone finds another way (if possible).

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have downgraded my 3ds from 9.2 to 4.5 using GatewayUltra 3.0.1.
Is it possible to install CFW without a flashcart? This CFW requires an 3ds flashcart right? I only have sd card and a cardreader...
Is there some CFW out there that does not require a flashcart? I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, I really don't want to buy a one even if it is cheap

Okay, you're asking two very different questions here:
1.) Is it possible to install CFW without a 3DS cart? Yes.
2.) Is it possible to install CFW without any sort of cart? No.

The big difference is that CFW requires at least a DS cart, not a 3DS cart. Big difference as 3DS carts cost at least $60 at their cheapest, whereas DS carts can go for under $10 nowadays.

Then again, if you don't want to spend any money period, and don't have an older cart in an original DS, it's not much consolation.

Reactions: solidussss

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just been reading about the original 4.5 hack that gateway used. It's my understanding that it's got two distinct stages to the exploit, the first loads a ROP (Return Oriented Programming) chain into the stack (in userland).

This is done through a smash stack in the DS profile settings, so requires a DS flashcart to fill them with the start on the ROP chain. I presume then it execute a kernel vulnerability ?

So would it be possible to use the vulnerability in the web browser that's been discovered as an attack vector instead, while still using the same known kernel vulnerability. This would literally require no investment (apart from an internet connection :D). Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any way.

Reactions: solidussss

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr