Injecting Rom Hack

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by slimpyman, Aug 19, 2008.

Aug 19, 2008

Injecting Rom Hack by slimpyman at 5:07 AM (2,249 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. slimpyman
    OP

Member slimpyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am trying different kinds of rom hacks for secret of mana, and chrono trigger, and i tried injecting secret of mana into super metroid, and i get the this game pack is not designed for your super famicom or super nes.... any way around this? i get a title screen, than it stops there

2. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    You can already play SOM & CT through channels not homebrew emulator; up to you to take a risk of a bad banner if you get the wrong one (if a bad one exists?).

3. slimpyman
    OP

United States
    i was trying to patch a hack into the rom.

4. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    umm, it might be because the rom is NTSC or what ever and the wad your injecting into is from another country.

5. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Sooo... you're saying you unpacked the wad, extracted the 00000005.app, and patched the .rom (or no extension... I don't recall) file? That obviously will not work... What you need to do is patch a rom so (in this case) you have a file with a .smc extension, then inject it normally into the wad with your every day wad injector.

6. slimpyman
    OP

United States
    yeah, i just had super metroid wad, injected the secret of manahacked.smc into super metroid.wad, and installed the wad. i get the title screen, than the dumb THis isnt designed for your famicom or super nes pops up

7. Neversoft

Member Neversoft GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure that's the issue as well. It sounds like the inject was good but the game itself is objecting... Probably worth double-checking to ensure that the "target" game and the game to be injected are from the same region... Personally though I'd check and see if they work in the latest version of SNES9x - avoid the whole issue of munged banners breaking your Wii, filling up space on the NAND etc etc

8. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    You're lucky I was looking at some SNES Details yesterday.

Basically, the JP/US SNES have a Regional Lockout chip. The PAL has one as well but it is different. Some SNES games like 'Super Metroid' had a protection in the rom which would prevent the rom from running if the framerate hertz is incorrect.

So if I try and run Super Metroid US/JP version on a PAL machine, it won't let me. Same if I run the Super Metroid PAL version on a US/JP machine.

What I guess your doing is trying to:

- Inject 'Secret of Man' US version in a PAL Wad
    - Inject 'Secret of Man' PAL version in a US Wad

Now I need to know a couple of things in order to help you fix the problem are:

- What Region Machine do you plan to install the Wii on? US or Europe?
    - Do you want the rom to run in 60HZ or 50HZ?
    - What IPS Patch are you applying to the Secret of Mana Rom?
    - Is the Super Metroid Wad the US or PAL version?

9. slimpyman
    OP

United States
    NTSC super metroid wad

60 hz

my wii is ntsc (north america)

patch is here
    http://www.hard-som.de/en/index.php?location=downloads

10. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think I've found the problem. If you use the unheaded IPS patch (the US VWF one), it seems to add in some protection and won't boot the rom when forcing the rom to load in either NTSC or PAL (using ZSNES).

If you apply the headed IPS Patch (the US VWF one), it works and the message won't come up if NTSC is forced but does if PAL is forced (which won't matter as you are putting the rom in a NTSC Wad which will run the rom in 60Hz). The use a SNES Tool to remove the header.

Let me just inject the rom into the wad.

EDIT: It works. If you post your E-Mail address, I'll send you the rom I've used. Use the Auto Injectuwad Injector v3 to install the rom into Donkey Kong Country NTSC WAD (I can send you a copy by e-mail). If you want to inject it into Super Metroid, you will need to extract the contents of 00000005.app and place the rom in there and repack the files (but I'll explain that later tonight).

EDIT 2: I've just finished injecting Hard Secret of Mana (with VWF) into Donkey Kong Country WAD (US) and the rom is working. I also added in a custom banner and save icon as well. If you give me your E-Mail address slimpyman, I can send you it.