Injecting N64 roms... for idiots, please?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Osakasan, May 7, 2016.

1. Osakasan
    OP

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    So, i want to experiment a little bit with Ng4 VC rom injection because there are games that we basically KNOW that are not going to reach the eShop. NEVER

However i can't find any reliable tutorial, not even here. A little help please? So far i have Loadiine last version in my U, but i don't know what to do with it.

SlimPortable likes this.

2. snuggles08

snuggles08 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    1. Dump a legit N64 VC with ddd or pirate one.
    2. Name it properly for Loadiine.
    3. Go to content/rom and delete whatever's there, remembering the filename (may be unnecessary, isn't for 3ds)
    4. Copy your rom in n64 format there, and rename it + extension to the old one.
    5. Put it on SD and play it with Loadiine.

SlimPortable likes this.
  3. KuraudoSutoraifu

KuraudoSutoraifu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So I tried injecting Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time: Master Quest using Donkey Kong 64 and Ocarina of Time respectively as base.
    I can load both "base" games perfectly fine with loadiine, but when I try to load one of the injected ones I only get a black screen (and in the case of Banjo-Kazooie the Wii U even frreezes and I have to unplug it.)
    What am I doing wrong?

4. snuggles08

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Can I have a screenshot of the folder in content/rom?

5. FusionGamer

FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    Or dump one with Retrode ;)

6. snuggles08

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    It needs to be VC. The ROM is seperate.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. KuraudoSutoraifu

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Ok, fixed my issue with OoT:MQ by using a different base (I think I used Mario Kart 64).

Banjo-Kazooie won't work, though. According to the Wiki BK schould be injected into DK64. That's what I did. Take Donkey Kong 64 PAL as a base, note the filename of the file in content/rom, copy a Banjo-Kazooie PAL N64 ROM into the folder and rename it to the noted filename. Everytime I launch it, it crashes my Wii U.
    [​IMG]

KiiWii likes this.
  8. snuggles08

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Try downloading this, renaming it to config.ini, and putting it in /wiiu/games/Banjo-Kazooie [N64BJK]/content, replacing the existing one.

9. KhaderWelaye

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Protip: The base is irrelevant, and the rom filename is irrelevant. All that matters is that you have a proper config.ini file for your rom that matches your proper filename. So for example you have MarioKart64.z64 in the rom folder? Your config.ini needs to be renamed to MarioKart64.z64.ini and placed in the config folder. ALL the other ini files in the config folder can be safely deleted since they are for other games.

I injected Donkey Kong 64 into Super Mario 64 with its official config.ini just to see if the bases were different, and if the bases weren't uniform, this absolutely would have crashed. It's interesting how many games Nintendo has made ini files for that they won't be releasing, for me Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2 were the ones I ended up wanting.

I'm definitely interested in setting up some kind of debugger setup. If we could try running unsupported roms, figuring out where they crash and building custom config.ini files off that, it's possible we could support more roms than currently available. (Or not I'm just spitballing ideas right after waking up)

Another tip: If you started messing with files in the meta folder, you could change the game name and icon and etc so it actually shows as your game in loadiine. Unnecessary for the most part, but I was glad to have all my games show up as the proper title ;) I also gave my injections custom TitleIDs that other games wouldn't be using so there wouldn't be any conflicts down the line (Like INJ101, INJ201, etc)

Anyways sorry for the long ramble post, hopefully there's something helpful in there

VinsCool, geheim, lordelan and 2 others like this.
  10. KuraudoSutoraifu

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Gambia, The
    This did the trick! :D Thanks for sharing this info, it's pretty interesting.
    Just a quick and probably pretty naive thought: If the base doesn't matter, couldn't we use it as starting point for a standalone N64 emulator on the Wii U? Basically that it loads the ROMs and corresponding .ini's on the fly?

11. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Anybody knows where I can find config.ini files for games? I want to inject star wars rogue squadron and spiderman 64 but both give black screen

12. snuggles08

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    Here

fiveighteen likes this.
  13. Osakasan
    OP

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Tried to dump one of my VC files, but it wont dump, even being the Wii U connected to the client

What did go wrong?

14. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I've searched for a Mario Kart 64 base without luck, is there any program that convert N64 roms to Wii U VC format like nds2wiiu?

15. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    I really want to have Quest 64 .. so the name really doesn't change anything? I could just use the basic ini file with the matching rom name I choose?

16. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    Guys, remember to convert your .n64/.v64 to .z64 (big endian) which is used by the official emulator. I always used .n64 roms at the start and wondered why it crashed, until i noticed that you have to use .z64.

KhaderWelaye likes this.
  17. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Ok I injected Quest 64 but it crashes before reaching the main menu. I guess that could only be fixed by editing the config.ini file?

18. BossRoss93

BossRoss93 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    Anyone able to confirm if Mario Party 3 works? Been seriously wanting to play this game on my Wii U but wii64 has some really messed up graphics issues.

Also, @KuraudoSutoraifu : You got OOT: MQ working? When I go ahead with this do you think you would mind sharing your config file with me?

19. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the great info. I thought it was worth noting that the base does matter, as ninty updates their VC emu's from time to time the more recent the better (generally at least)

20. KhaderWelaye

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Oh interesting, are there any officially released games that take advantage of emulator updates yet? I haven't seen any but I also haven't been looking very hard ;)