Inject a custom game inside a 3DS cartridge

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pataxu, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Pataxu
    OP

Pataxu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2016
    Stupid question. I want to inject a custom/modified .cia, or something similar into a cartridge, replacing the game with a new one.

As far I know, 3DS (And pretty much all of the) cartridges are ROM, Read Only Memory, so you can't write stuff into them.

So, I want to know if there's an alternative way to do it. Like, purchasing a programmable cartridge.

Why I would want to do this? I mean, I can already install games into my console and add romhacks. But I can't do the same in other people consoles...
    Here's my evil plan. My plan is to make a romhack of Zelda Majora's Mask with modified dialogs, textures, music, maps, models, etc (I already know about rom hacking, so there's no problem for me)... To just make it scary, to just make the player think "The hell is happening here? The game is more creepy than I remember".

Then, write that romhack into a cartridge, sell it in a "Sell your second hand stuff!" webpage, meet the person in real life to give the cartridge (Yeah, that's how some of "Sell your second hand stuff" webpages actually work) and then say "Don't worry, it's free. Don't pay for it". And after that poor person starts to play, boom, a cool creepypasta in real life, or probably a trauma.

Obviously, I won't do it, but I'm just curious to know if you can actually do something like this and purchase a non-ROM cartridge.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Sky3ds or stagnate3ds

Ammako likes this.
  3. am714

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    Da qualche parte nella Dimensione Magica...
    There are non ROM cartridges, but those are only for devkits(and require dev hardware to write them) and would not work on a retail system anyways

Last edited by am714, Nov 10, 2019
  4. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    I think unhacked 3DSes perform signature verifications on carts, so it wouldn't work.

Michael18751 and am714 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted