ROM Hack Question I'm developing a cross save tool, how should it work?

osum4est

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I'm working on an app, SaveSwitch, that will make it easy to sync saves between your PC and switch, enabling cross saves on games like boi, hollow knight, stardew valley, and whatever else uses the same save format on both systems. There are two ways of doing this, but I can't decide on which is better. If you're interested in an app like this, could you select the poll option for the one you would prefer?

Option A: Desktop app that read/writes directly to the switch nand via memloader (would support sysnand and emunand)
Usage would be: Poweroff switch, boot into rcm, plug into pc, open saveswitch (injecting memloader and everything would be handled by SaveSwitch)
Pros: Small ban risk, only one app, no need for another service
Cons: Having to turn off the switch and boot into rcm every time you want to sync could be annoying

Option B: Desktop app and switch homebrew app that sync via cloud storage (gcloud, dropbox, etc)
Usage would be: Open SaveSwitch on switch and sync, the pc app would watch for changes and sync automatically
Pros: No need for a usb cable, dont have to turn the switch off, can use away from your pc
Cons: Higher ban risk, more complex to set up

I can't figure out how to make a poll here so here's a strawpoll: strawpoll.me/45487765

Thanks!

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
While DBI already exists and make things like importing/exporting things very easily, with no need on PC other than having USB ports, it's closed source, so it would be great to have an open source alternative:

https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi

The way it works is it creates an MTP device with multiple "volumes" which are really different sections and options for your switch. There's the "External SD card" volume, the "Micro SD install" volume and the "Saves" volume. I think it's great that there's no need for a Desktop app, since it's just recognized as any MTP USB device. You could work something similar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs