Ideal computers.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gizmo_gal, Dec 17, 2008.

Dec 17, 2008

Ideal computers. by gizmo_gal at 2:52 PM (998 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    The main idea is to build a computer from recycled/refurbished parts that is capable of running smoothly and not catching on fire. I need some tips, ideas, and resources.

I have wanted to build my own PC for a long while now and I'm getting ready to sell some stuff and hope to begin buying parts for a computer.

I dont need a top of the line PC. I dont plan on using it for Gaming, or running high end programs--nothing of the sort.

All I want is a PC that will do the following:
    Play Videos, MP3s and display Pictures.
    Allow me to run a Dev environment in case I ever get around to putting my meager knowledge of C++ into action.
    Allow me to browse the web
    Run Office Suite type software
    Have a few games on my harddrive.
    Play and burn CDs and DVDs
    I know this is gonna sound tacky but...Floppy Disk.
    150 Gig HardDisk and 2-4 Gigs RAM.

I dont think I'll actually need all that RAM, but I want it anyway so that if I should decide to do something strenous with the PC I will have it and if not, I can just have bragging rights.

I have a lot of floppy disks and I still like to use them from time to time. It really gets under my skin that most Desktops we buy or see no longer have them...

I want 3 or more usb ports and a space for memory sticks and cards.

The software that I want to run on it stuff like:
    FireFox,
    Thunderbird
    Tux Paint
    VLC Video
    Any other quality OpenSource program.
    Linux. (Ubuntu? I really dont know that much about the Linux versions, but I had someone praises Ubuntu very highly.)

I love the idea of having a PC that costs me nothing more than parts and the time of assembly. I plan to fill my computer with OpenSource software ONLY.

2. Votkrath

Member Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Since the thing you want to use on it you can do it on a $300 computer but if you want to have a decent PC which will do those stuff flawless with a bit of head room you should think in the $400-500 room, then it could stay for a while. You could spend more/less if you want, but that is a good point to set.

Personally I think you should get a double core processor since one core processors are basically outdated and a quad processor is waste of money. So a processor with two cores should do fine. Doesn't matter if it's a processor from Intel's Core 2 Duo series or AMD's Athlon X2 series. I would suggest getting something in the class of above 2.4GHz if your going with Intel or above 2.6GHz if your going with an AMD processor. That's because Intel processor are normally faster if the processors have the same clock speeds, but AMD's processors are cheaper.

For RAM I suggest you getting DDR2 because of the same reason as the processors since DDR is outdated and DDR3 is really unnecessary. Get the 800MHz speed since under is rather slow and above are just overclocked memory which you will have no benefit of. I recommend Corsair as the brand but basically any brand will do, but remember, never go with the cheapest but never go with the most expensive neither, take something that fits your budget.

For the hard drive I would recommend something above 250GB actually because of two reasons, first, lower capacity hard drives are usually old which means all of them are not able to open single files with a size bigger than 6GB, sure, you might not do that but I will still mention it. The other reason is that hard drives are so cheap now so getting anything to cheap is just ridiculous. Sure, you could get lower but then keep sure that the hard drive is relatively new which means it's from 2007/2008 or 2009 depending on when this will happen. Brand doesn't really matter but the best are probably Western Digital, Samsung or Seagate. Maxtor, Hitachi or Toshiba would actually work too but I believe the first 3 I mentioned are most reliable. If you have problems deciding brand I suggest you look at the write speed and so on them to check which one is faster since even if it's the same hard drives basically the write speed may differ. The rotation speed you want is 7200 RPM since that is the regular speed nowadays since lower is slower of course and higher is unnecessary and ridiculously expensive.

For a motherboard it's really up to you and what other parts you pick, because the gonna fit with it so I can't give any certain tip here except that you should be careful on which one you pick because of compatibility. The brands I recommend are Asus and Gigabyte, but Foxconn and MSI should work too.

The price may increase if you want a graphics card. Even if you only do these stuff it might be good just to buy something cheap but decent just to don't get a motherboard with integrated video. You won't need to go higher than $60 if your getting one, hopefully a lot cheaper. And that will also be decent enough for the few games on your hard drive that I don't know if they need a graphics card to run since I don't know what "few games" you are talking about.

For a case it's really up to you, but you could link me a few and I could check them out. Same with the power supply, should be around 400-500 because then you will have head room. Keep in mind that you shall not get a bad brand just because of the price since there is a big chance it will burn up. Myself I use a Corsair power supply which serve me well but this is also up to you.

To be honest, I can give you much more of advices since you need to provide more about what you need help with. Since you live in the U.S. I suggest you buy from newegg.com. Said to be one of the best online stores with fast shipping and good prices. Since I don't live in the U.S. and therefor can't order from them I don't have any personal experience with them but I've never ever heard any people having issues with them.

3. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    Thanks Votkrath, I'll look into these various brands and I'll try and stay in the middle ground of both specs and budget.

I need to find parts and of course I cant buy anything until after I've sold some stuff, made space for it etc, etc...but its good to have clear cut ideas on how to go about a thing.

I'll check this thread every now and then to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I also have a few sites bookmarked to help me navigate the world of PC building and programming.

4. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    if your still looking towards building your pc then 400-500 sound slike a good price plan to me but more towards the $500 mark as for the graphics front you might as well get a decent graphics card now so it'll save you having to fork out for an upgrade but still this shouldn't be too expensive.

as for were to buy from I can suggest ebuyer.com they seem to be pretty cheap on the computing wares and have a good variety but shop around and before you buy from anywhere and if you have never heard of the site before google the website in question with ""full web address" review" (without the quotations) and you should get a general idea on how the site runs as a business.

and on the Linux front Ubuntu is one of the best Linux OS's that I know of I've used it and it was pretty good but after being a windows user it take time to get used to using command prompt for alot of things.

5. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    For the level of system you are wanting you are better off buying an already assembled PC. You won't be saving very much money (probably none) and it will take a lot of time. You can get great deals on refurbished units or scratch/dents from the major PC manufacturers. I agree that you should go ahead and get a dual core system and just purchase a USB floppy drive if it's that important to you.

6. Votkrath

Member Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Yeah, but already assembled PCs/Branded PCs don't have so go upgrading compatibilities and definitely at that price. And to be honest I think she wants to build the PC herself since I believe it's pretty fun.

7. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    I'm not really expecting to save money. I'd just like to build a PC to these basic specs, because then I will have a PC that is useful, functioning and very unique because it was made by me with my own two hand. Besides I think that it would be fun and very educational and informative. I am not looking to have a PC that I can upgrade or anything. Essentially all I need it to do is word process and office software, support a Dev Enviroment and and run media from DVDs, Disks and hopefully floppy drives.

8. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Well you should be able to build a PC like that pretty cheaply and easily, just make sure all the components are compatible when you buy. For example dont get DDR2 RAM if your motherboard only supports DDR 1 etc. If your getting all the parts from a PC shop just ask the staff there to be sure! Building a PC isnt really much more then putting slot a into B, its pretty idiot proof. I built my own PC a couple of years ago, didnt have a clue what I was doing and it took like 3 hours all in all including putting the OS onto it.
    To be honest if you havent installed an OS and drivers before it will probably be the trickiest part of the task as opposed to the physical building of the computer!
    Good luck on it, and dont be intimidated its much more straight forward then you would think!

[​IMG]