[Idea/Theory] Booting EmuNAND in extended memory mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jaitsu, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jaitsu
    OP

Jaitsu Yet Another GBATemp Furry

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    EDIT: I think I done fucked up something and this is probably totally unnecessary. Please disregard unless this has other applications.

So, as I recently discovered, it's impossible to play games such as Super Smash Bros. or MH4U on an EmuNAND, because the system has to reboot into extended memory mode - which means it kicks you out of EmuNAND, and gives a "The SD card was removed." error because SysNAND is on 4.5 (in my case, at least) and doesn't know what to do with the "boot in extended memory mode" command.

SO! My idea is thus. We already have launcher.dats that can patch all sorts of checks (Pasta, Palantine, PBT...). Is it possible to create one that instructs the EmuNAND to boot in extended memory mode? As I recall, the games LEAVE the 3DS in that mode, which is why someone made a program specifically for the sake of getting out of that. I'm very interested in finding out whether or not the games still reboot the 3DS if they detect that it's *already* in that mode.

Thoughts? Ideas? (Hell, I REALLY need to learn how to code this stuff.)

Last edited by Jaitsu, Jun 10, 2015
  2. SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

GBAtemp Patron
    SuzieJoeBob is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    This is for the New 3DS, correct? I am just asking because Super Smash Bros. works perfectly fine on my o3DS XL with sysNAND 4.5 (not-downgraded) and emuNAND 9.6+ (9.6 is the oldest emuNAND version I remember playing it on).

3. Jaitsu
    OP

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    No, actually, I'm talking about an o3DS. It works for you? Strange. It doesn't work for me; the instant I try to boot it, it reboots into sysNAND with that error.

4. SuzieJoeBob

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    Is the ROM trimmed? Some games have issues with that.

5. Jaitsu
    OP

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    Nope. I'm confused. I wrote this thread on the basis that someone in another thread told me that it wasn't working because it's rebooting the 3DS.

I'm curious, though. My emuNAND is 9.2, not 9.6. Maybe I'll try with 9.6.

6. Pestilence204

Pestilence204 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2014
    Canada
    Both of those games work fine on gateway emuNAND. The system reboots after you close the game, not when you launch it.

7. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    you can get away with it by launching another app and closing that one instead of directly closing SSB

8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    What are you using to run your emuNAND?

Both rxTools and Gateway should both be patched to run Smash/MH4 (and in the case of rxTools you'll need to have the slot0x25KeyX.bin on your SD card).

9. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    This.
    I've got Smash4 to work both on gateway red card and as a CIA, without doing anything special.
    My setup is a O3DS 4.2 sysnand + 9.8 emunand + GW 3.2.2 launcher.
    The only problem is that if you close Smash4 directly it will reboot the O3DS, kicking you to sysnand.

10. Jaitsu
    OP

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    I must've done something wrong somewhere along the line, I don't know. I'll let you guys know if I figure anything out. I'm still curious about launching into extended-memory mode, though.

11. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    One thing I've remembered just now, what is the size of your SD card (the one that goes in the 3DS)?
    MH4 and Smash4 had problems to run in GW redcard or CIA if your SD had less than 4GB in capacity (this includes 4gb cards with emunand partitions). Had you tried using a bigger SD card?

12. Domino101

Domino101 GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2015
    Under Your Bed
    what region o3ds do you have?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

the same thing been happening to me

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i have all that but it still wouldnt work, guess its just my region

13. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I must admit that I have had no problems with Smash Bros myself. I purchased it from the eShop before obtaining my Gateway (so I'm not sure if that changes anything), and I've played in the following setups, all on Old 3DS:
    sysNand <= 9.2, 4 GB System SD card, no emuNand
    sysNand 9.2, 4 GB System SD card, emuNand 9.5ish
    sysNand 4.2, 4 GB System SD card, emuNand 9.5ish
    sysNand 4.2, 32 GB System SD card, emuNand 9.8

I was actually playing it yesterday morning, and then when I went to close the system, the right hinge snapped off, so I'm going to have to order a replacement part.

14. SuzieJoeBob

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    My 3DS is a North American (USA) model and the ROM is a backup I made of my sister's retail copy, which is the same region.