Hacking Idea : Mass game installer.

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been spending a fair amount of time going through all my burnt games and loading them onto my Wii's hard drive. It's a pain in the ass having to interact with it so much when loading lots of games.

What would be ideal is an app on the Wii that installs games, spits the disk out then waits for the next disk. No button pressing, no having to even view anything on screen.

I'm nearly done with my disc copying, but I'm sure it's something that other people would find useful.

If only I could write it myself!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems pretty redundant to me. You already have to interact with it by taking discs in and out so it's not really automating that much of the process.

Also, since they're burned games you can just copy the images back to your PC and install them through WBFS Manager. I think it's faster that way.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people use IMGburn or another PC app to rip the games, and then add the ISOs using WBFS Manager 3.0. It's way faster than using the Wii, plus it won't wear out the lens on your system. I did over 100 dvd-r backups using this method, and I'd rather save a lot of time, than have the Wii wait for the next disc.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Or like I do, I save all my Wii ISO's on my PC, even the ones I've burned.
So it was really easy for me to put them all on my HD using WBFS Manager.
You do have to have a lot of harddrive space then (to save all your ISO's on the PC), but I feel safer that way.
Some games I have on my PC, on disc and on HD
smile.gif

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In testing I didn't find the IMGBurn/WBFSManger method any quicker really.

I spent the whole time flicking between what I was watching on TV and the Wii to install them all. If the Wii had just been spitting discs out and waiting for another I could probably have cut my installation time down by half, cos I had to wait for an ad break before flicking to the Wii. It was then 2 or 3 clicks of an OK after swapping discs to start installing the next one.

If not a separate application then having the facility in the loader would be good.

Like I said, I don't really need it any more but after having been through installing 90 or so games from disc, I can see why someone would want such an application.

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:
Or like I do, I save all my Wii ISO's on my PC, even the ones I've burned.
So it was really easy for me to put them all on my HD using WBFS Manager.
You do have to have a lot of harddrive space then (to save all your ISO's on the PC), but I feel safer that way.
Some games I have on my PC, on disc and on HD
smile.gif
Yeah, I do this, but a friend has my ISO drive at the moment and I was at my girlfriends house loading up her kids Wii from the backup discs they already had.

Tedious.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that this is a good idea. It wouldn't be hard to add as an option to loaders.

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Glad at least one person agrees! It would be ideal for the person looking to install their entirely legitimate collection of games.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I agree too. I was thinking of the exact same feature when I was loading all my discs to HDD using USB Loader GX while I was watching TV. Although, It's really only necessary for us users who had a bunch of discs and wanted to switch to USB loading. After you get done with all your discs, you wouldn't care about that feature.

Direct from .iso to the HDD using WBFS manager is fastest, but ripping it to your HDD using imgburn, and then moving is slower than just ripping it in the wii.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
Glad at least one person agrees! It would be ideal for the person looking to install their entirely legitimate collection of games.
Yep, I added it as a suggestion for USB Loader GX on Google Code.

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wiistarter said:
Is something like this not already available... Doesnt the blue slot light come on when copying is finished
It does, but then I've got to wait for the ads to come on during whatever program I'm watching, eject the disc, pick up the wiimote, click a few buttons, put the disc in then wait for it all to happen and hope it coincides with the adverts coming on again...

The idea of this is the light comes on or the disc ejects, you put another disc in and off it goes. No need to even have a TV connected.

It's the sort of thing you'd use once, then never use again. But it would save a hell of a lot of time.

D

Deleted-119707

is it really too much trouble pressing buttons ?XD

i have a 1.5tb split into two 750mb partitions. 1 for wbfs and the other backup of the isos.

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
It might not exactly fit what you want but you might want to consider using WBFS WUYOU (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148398&st=60) it's the only Windows WBFS manager that I know of that can rip from a burnt disk to a WBFS drive on the PC... It's waaaaaaaaaaay faster than the Wii (which presumably has to read at 3x). It will dump a game in 5mins or so - naturally, it only works for burnt disks though
smile.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
The installation process for Configurable USB Loader can be automated pretty easily. When the game finishes ripping, the slot lights up and you can push A to eject the current disc, insert the next one and push + then A (IIRC) to install the next. No need to switch back to the Wii to check it as you don't have to point anywhere in particular on the screen and three button pushes on the Wii Remote is not a big deal.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well you have to be close to your wii to take the disc out. so why not just look for the light to light up and press eject?. all the loaders are open source, so you can take out the confirmation prompt quite easily.

there is only like 1 line of code to change in almost (if not all) of them.

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
I was about to rant about why can't people be happy....only months ago using a hard drive wasn't even possible.

But realised then that it's only by creating wish lists that improvements are made.

But I do sometimes find it incredible that within minutes of a new piece of software or an updated revision coming out, that people are griping (not directed at the author of this thread) about what it should do and doesn't, without even thanking the author.

And thats after having to endure thread after thread for weeks prior to release of the same people saying, "when is he going to release this rev....pretty please?"

B

BryceOne

I guess having a TV/Monitor with PIP (Picture-In-Picture) is useful, so you can still watch TV while being able to see the Wii screen.. Also having a DVR to pause what you're watching is useful as well.

How about doing this at another time when you're not watching TV.. Watch a DVD so you can pause it, or watch something where it's no big deal to switch over from time to time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative