I need some help, or advise

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by rufuszombot, Jun 12, 2016.

1. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    So my Windows 10 PC has stopped connecting to the internet (It still connects to the modem) and after days of trying to solve the issue, I haven't found a single solution.
    The error I get is: One or more network protocols are missing on this computer
    Alternatively, I get a different error sometimes saying something about the DNS not being able to register, or something like that.
    I've tried every single 'solution' that googling my problem has to offer and it's done nothing. So I'm either looking for a way to fix this, or I just want to format the whole thing and get rid of this headache of a problem.
    So, if I can't fix it and have to format, since I have a genuine Windows 10, will my 8.1 key that came with my PC do the trick when it comes to activating it? I don't want to run a pirated windows, they always cause me trouble. I've also always wanted to run a dual OS with Linux (probably Debian, but I'm not very familiar with the differences). Since I'll be starting fresh I feel like this would be the perfect time to do this, but I have no idea how to set this up, and when I tried on my laptop I ended up giving up because it wasn't working right.
    TL;DR: How do I fix my internet, and if I can't what's an easy way to re-install Windows from scratch, preferable with a dual-boot option with Debian Linux?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Right click the network icon on the task tray, go to Network and Sharing center, go to Adapter Properties on the left-hand pane, right click your network adapter, and go to properties. Is the IPv4 module installed, and what are the properties set to for it?

rufuszombot likes this.
  3. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    It is installed, and the properties are just set on automatic.

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    What network card do you have?

rufuszombot likes this.
  5. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222. I have tried to update, rollback, and even delete and reinstall the drivers, but none of that worked. I would attempt to hardwire to the modem, but that option is out of the question.

6. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Not sure what the issue could be then. If you want to do a reinstall, download a Windows 10 ISO and use Rufus to create a bootable USB installer. And if you want Debian, reinstall Windows first, then use Rufus to make a USB for Debian, then install it. GRUB should automatically detect Windows during the install and set itself up accordingly.

rufuszombot likes this.
  7. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    Is there a legitimate place to download an ISO, or am i going to have to get it elsewhere?

8. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
  9. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for all your help. I didn't want to have to reformat, but it's better than nothing, and it's not like I can't just always redownload anything I loase, it's just a hassle.

10. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, it really is. I wish I could offer more help, but I really don't know what could be causing the issue. There's a myriad of scenarios like your drivers just being completely fubar, a third party firewall interfering, or Windows just being plain dumb.

11. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    It worked fine, and then my internet was shut off for a few months, when it got turned back on it had this problem. No telling what i did to it in the mean time.

12. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    That might be an issue with your router not being provisioned properly thus not leasing DHCP requests properly. That would make sense as to why you're getting DNS errors.

13. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    I tried to reset the router, but I didn't do anything. I do have a DHCP-Client error, but that led me nowhere. All of my other devices on this wifi work, and since it's my roommate's router, I can't really look around in the settings since I don't know that password.

14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It'd be up to the ISP to provision it properly if that is the issue. You wouldn't be able to do anything on your end.

15. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    So would a reformat even fix this issue?

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I mean, it might be worth a try seeing as your other devices seem to work.

17. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    Unfortunately this didn't work either. I'm going to try to do a clean install of linux, and see if that helps.
    It's not working with Linux, or another clean install of Windows.

Last edited by rufuszombot, Jun 13, 2016
  18. rufuszombot
    OP

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    I finally decided to take the wifi adapter out of an old laptop and install it in my desktop. As it stands, this has fixed my problem. Lesson learned the hard way, I suppose.