I bought a SNES

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is probably the most fun I had with a "budget" SNES game. Bought that thing new for 10 bucks and ended up being one of the best games I bought for the system.

So many of the great SNES games are way up there in price sadly. But hey you never know what you might find at a flea market, second-hand store, rummage sale, etc. If you can find it for a good price, Secret of Mana is an awesome action RPG and still my favorite game of all time today.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ogre Battle ; March of the Black Queen was my favorite RPG for the SNES. I too got the urge to play X 1-3 a few years back on original hardware. I don't know if it is still the case, but I was able to pick up "Rockman X2" On ebay for like $3. I remembered all of the dialogue anyways, so I was happy.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 (although I find DKC1 to be rather boring)
- Pilotwings (A great flight simulator by Nintendo and it's a really cheap game)
- Super Mario Kart (great classic, very challeging and great for multiplayer)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (considered by many the best Zelda)
- Top Gear (it's actually a very fun racing game if you're playing with a friend)

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
By the way, keep in mind that if you decide to buy a snes flashcart that some games that use special chips won't work, some of these games are few Mega Man games, Star Fox/Starwing, Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats on your purchase. I was going to suggest Mega Man X - X3 but the prices are just a little over your budget.
X ~60 GBP
X2 ~50 GBP
X3 ~90 GBP

I was like "no fucking way" and then I waltz over to ebay and...jesus christ.
I have X3 sitting on my damn shelf...perhaps I should let it sit on someone elses shelf for lots of money...
Too bad i'm a die hard mega man fan :[ dammit.

Ugh I regret so much not buying X1 and X2 back when I saw them in a store for like $10 each. FUUUUU.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I still have my SNES, I keep it around for nostalgic reasons.

A shop local to me has a boatload of SNES games for sale, but they're asking for £20-30 per game. Before GAME bought out Gamestation and ran them into the ground, my local had a boxed, pristine copy of Secret of Mana on sale for £65. If I'd been able to justify the purchase at the time, I'd have bought it.

A friend of mine had a Super Wildcard when we were kids, it cost about £150 at the time. There's one listed on eBay UK, I'd recommend it if you have a floppy disk drive lying around that's not caked in 20 years of dust.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was like "no fucking way" and then I waltz over to ebay and...jesus christ.
I have X3 sitting on my damn shelf...perhaps I should let it sit on someone elses shelf for lots of money...
Too bad i'm a die hard mega man fan :[ dammit.

Ugh I regret so much not buying X1 and X2 back when I saw them in a store for like $10 each. FUUUUU.

At least you still have one of the games, I don't have any :(

Fun fact. Megaman 7, X, X2, and X3 brand new in their packages is on ebay for 7499 GBP o.o

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Get Terranigma. it came out in Europe and Japan and is one of THE best action adventure/rpg type games ever created! And that says something. The obvious ones as above of course but hidden gems are games like Marvel Super Heroes War of the Gems, ActRaiser (dont get part 2, the first one is much better) and Kirby's Dream Course!

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my opinion but I think the Super Nintendo looks best on an old school tv with an S-Video hook-up, rather than with the yellow video component cable. I think it looks a lot smoother and not so pixelated that way.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just some suggestions off the top of my head...

-Yoshi's Island. My favorite SNES game of all time, as well as my favorite side scrolling platformer of all time. An amazing game that has yet to be matched by any other Yoshi game.

-Chrono Trigger. One of the only RPGs I liked. I hear it runs a bit expensive though, so you might be better off getting the DS version.

-Kirby Super Star. One of the best Kirby games. Really fun for two player co-op, too.

-Goof Troop. Think of Zelda: Four Swords, but before Zelda Four Swords, and with only two players. Really short, but really fun.

-Donkey Kong Country. Speaks for itself.

Anyway, I gotta run. Have fun!

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
A few games I thought of:
  • Animaniacs
  • Blues Brothers
  • Battletoads
All games I had fun playing when I was younger. The first two are going for less than a tenner on eBay, the third has a couple of auctions starting at less than a tenner with no bids (but all the buy it nows are expensive).

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on the new SNES. As some games can go for a lot (see: Earthbound), I would highly recommend a Super Everdrive or a SNES Powerpak. They can go for quite a bit, but not nearly what it would cost to pickup all of the worthy titles.

By the way, it games. Not gaems. Try Illusion of Gaia. It is really good action RPG.
By the way, it's "it's", not "it".

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario All Stars is way overrated.
The physics are too wonky to be enjoyable.

Although, maybe I'm not gaga over the first official "release" of SMB2j in the West because I have an NES repro with the original physics.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
60Hz mod the thing. Free it from the pain of 50Hz :(.
This. www.consolepassion.co.uk do good work from my own experiences if you want a fancy switchless mod fitted without having to do it yourself.

SD2SNES is by far the best flash cart for the SNES but a Super Everdrive is mostly acceptable too. www.retrotowers.co.uk have the SD2SNES in stock but without a case, stock is pretty rare on them in general so if you feel like using a dremel it would be worth grabbing one while you can.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By the way, it games. Not gaems. Try Illusion of Gaia. It is really good action RPG.

It's pretty ironic to see you tell people how to spell.
Seems like you haven't been here long enough to understand the humor.

Anyway back to the thread, I'm sure many already have mentioned most of the games but i'd recomment buying:
-The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past.
-Earthbound.
-F-Zero.
-Castlevania IV.
Although I know you're not the biggest fan of JRPG's
-FFII (Aka IV).
-FFIII (Aka VI).
-Breath of fire.
-Chrono Trigger.
-Super Mario RPG.
-Mortal Kombat 2.
-Super Metroid.
-Megaman X.
-Starfox.
-Kirby Superstar.
That should keep you busy for a while :P
Congrats for the SNES, I have one myself and it's pretty fun to go back to the older eras of gaming which I sadly didn't grow up in.
....If you want to pirate gaems you should just get an SNES Super Everdrive, Arrr!

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
all my suggestions but one are up there in other posts - donkey kong country 1,2,3 . super mario kart, zelda, starfox, zombie ate my neighbours (amazingly addictive :D) and one that wasnt said is earthworm jim 1 and 2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1