Hacking I am semi-noobish, please fix my thinking process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyKlef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so I miss going to the eShop store but can do without if I must, though I think updating to current firmware is no longer an issue as I feel like people have all entry points to go from there (at least up to current firmware) but I want to make sure I get this right:

-Jig gives access to SoC and can force payload (doesn't necessarily give access to Nintendo's OS)
-Hekate is an entrypoint to successfully run unsigned code in the Switch's OS (currently on all firmware, though better optimized on 3.0.0)

So the way I see this, when CFW is being released:
  1. Access to payload -> Install EmuNAND or Alternative OS
  2. Access to entrypoint -> Run modified software (potential native OS alterations) for better homebrew compatibility. (as people are already doing now)
It would either go like 1 or 2 right? Does that make sense? Is it safe for me to update to 5.0.2 ?

Cheers!

Last edited by WhyKlef,

The3rdknuckles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you’re wanting to use CFW I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what firmware you’re on because it’s a hardware issue that gets us in.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I miss going to the eShop store but can do without if I must, though I think updating to current firmware is no longer an issue as I feel like people have all entry points to go from there (at least up to current firmware) but I want to make sure I get this right:

-Jig gives access to SoC and can force payload (doesn't necessarily give access to Nintendo's OS)
-Hekate is an entrypoint to successfully run unsigned code in the Switch's OS (currently on all firmware, though better optimized on 3.0.0)

So the way I see this, when CFW is being released:
  1. Access to payload -> Install EmuNAND or Alternative OS
  2. Access to entrypoint -> Run modified software (potential native OS alterations) for better homebrew compatibility. (as people are already doing now)
It would either go like 1 or 2 right? Does that make sense? Is it safe for me to update to 5.0.2 ?

Cheers!
Close. It's more like this:

1. Use Jig to boot RCM (ReCovery Mode, also our entry point. Its technically the BootRom, but that's neither here nor there).
2. Use RCM to boot payload (payload is an application/our arbitrary code).
3. Payload loads application (lets use Atmosphere for example)
4. Atmosphere boots.
5. Run unsigned code. (Currently all firmware has access to HBL. Not all homebrew works.

All firmware are safe to boot to. Anything 4.1.0 or lower has access to eventual software entry points so you no longer need a Jig in step one. Instead, you'd load up the entry point (wherever that may be) from within the OFW, or it may be automatic like how Enso for the Vita is, or how anything past M33 on the PSP was.

Last edited by Deathscreton, , Reason: Examples.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: