I accidently deleted my NAND backup!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chanbog, Dec 28, 2011.

Dec 28, 2011
  1. chanbog
    OP

Newcomer chanbog Member

Canada
    Hey guys :(

I just finished modding my Wii using Modmii, and I wiped out everything on the SD card that I used, which had the NAND backup stored on it.

How can I get that backup back? Is this NAND unique to everyone? Or can I use someone else's?

I modded my Wii when it was at firmware 4.2U, if that helps.

How can I get my NAND backup back?

2. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can... just make another NAND backup...?

It's not like THAT SPECIFIC NAND backup is going to be the vital thing in saving your Wii if it bricks. Any NAND backup will do, as long as it was made at a time when the Wii was WORKING.

Kinda like a System Restore on Windows.

3. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    NAND backups are unique to the console they were made on, yes. They're signed with the Wii's private key.
    You could try resigning someone else's backup with your Wii's key, but that's more involved and I don't know how to do that.

4. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, yeah, but he could just make another NAND backup, through the same process...

Much simpler and safer than resigning a NAND backup (which doesn't always work).

5. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I'm aware that he could just make another NAND backup, but the original question was whether he could use someone else's NAND backup.
    Yes, chaos is correct and you should just make another NAND backup. And if you ever want to unhack your Wii, there are some virginization guides such as this one: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin

6. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
  7. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Since you deleted everything on the sd card: Place bootmii in sd:/bootmii, start HBC, press home, chose launch bootmii, proceed with taking a backup, get a cup of coffee, profit!