Hacking Hungry Ghosts (2003) ps2 translation-Help with ASM, file repacking and finding pointers

Horowitz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Yeah the filenames are crazy but were kind of helpful to refer the data back to pack.dat. For example, when you look at 0.2.000D6E80.bin, you can search offset 000D6E80 on pack.dat in hex edit to see the beginning of the data that 0.2.000D6E80.bin represents within pack.dat.
What would you name it as?

I know it is very quick for a person used to programming but for me it would take much more than necessary, lol. I really need another person to do this part. I will do whatever I can to collect more data, learn more about the game's pointers until someone appears that wants to commit to making these tools.

Hopefully someone will turn up soon. I wanted to get this thing moving while I still have ample free time on my hands, lol.

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well if there's no nametable i just use 000001.dat and so on lol.
if you have a tool to unpack and repack the file, they make no difference anyway, all you need from the filenames is whatever is comfortable for yourself.
Personally i cant stand it if they're like yours are, way too much distracting numbers and shit lol.

Horowitz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
True, they are distracting but handy for me since I was not the one who made the extractor and their filenames are the quickest way to make sense of the location of data in pack.dat. I will discuss this further with the person that volunteers to do this and see what we agree upon regarding filenames.

I will keep posting updates here and on romhacking. Anything you see here that might be a mistake you can quickly correct or if you have a suggestion about making some processes go smoother, please do post your solution so everyone can know other courses of action. I also might ask some more beginner's questions here that you are welcome answer if you have the time/patience, lol.

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well my point was more so that once you have a tool that actually rebuilds the pack.dat from your files, you dont have to know where they are in the file, so having their file offsets serves no purpose for you.

Horowitz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Yes, I understood. Mine was that I don't have the rebuilder ATM and it is handy for me without such a tool, lol. I am currently trying to track someone in those more unknown forums to take a look and see if they can program a rebuilder and maybe other tools to help with the text/pointer editing (like you are doing with yours).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: