ROM Hack How would I edit files found in games?

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I extracted the files from Kid Icarus: Uprising and there was only one file format that I was familiar which was .arc (because of brawl modding), but I noticed some file formats that are unfamiliar to me (.zrc, .bcstm, .bctex, .moflex,). How would I edit these files? And could I use BrawlBox for the .arc files?

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Moflex can't be edited because no one has implemented the codec necessary to encode that format. You can still watch them.
BCSTM is the audio format that's used also in WiiU. There are plenty of converters.
zrc. are probably (D)ARC archives. You might need to RE it because it could be a custom format (capcom does this, for example)
bctex is some type of texture, never heard of an extractor for that before

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
File extensions are not set in stone or enforced -- .arc is probably some form of archive/compressed file bundle but it might not be the the .arc format you might have seen else. Granted this is a Nintendo game so I would not be surprised if it was. Do check with existing tools (or open it in a hex editor and check against the known .arc formats) but don't be surprised if it is different/new.
moflex is a video format seen on the 3ds. I think there is a half decent decoder ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/released-moflex-player.400053/ ) but encoders are a bit thin on the ground (and I am not sure there is even anything in the leaked SDKs). You could edit some stuff manually, possible trim some frames and if you only want to subtitle something then there are ways around that (rather than edit the video you overlay an image).
bcstm is indeed a sound format https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-brstm-bcstm-conversion-tool-beta.378702/
bctex is a 3d texture format if memory serves, not sure what goes for decoders right now though http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-every-file-explorer.373615/ would be your best bet for a starting point.

Anyway the better answer to "How would I edit these files?" is probably going to have to be learn to hack and reverse engineer things -- the 3ds is still relatively new to this ROM hacking lark so if you want to get far in it you are going to have to forgo tools and get your hands dirty pulling things apart. Fortunately it is similar enough to the DS and wii that you can learn from those.

Reactions: Seriel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.