How to setup SMB to run on MPlayer

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by KushiRules, Aug 12, 2009.

Aug 12, 2009
  1. KushiRules
    OP

Newcomer KushiRules Member

United States
    What you need:

Wii
    Homebrew Channel
    SD Card
    MPlayer CE (via Homebrew Browser)
    An SD Card Reader
    Computer
    Some knowledge of Usernames and Password and IP Addresses

Directions:

1: Plug SD Card to the Computer and make sure MPlayer is installed on the SD.

2: In the SD Card go to apps. Then go to MPlayerCE(or something like that)

3: Open smb.conf with notepad by double-clicking, select Choose a program from my computer(the bottom option) and select Notepad. NOTE: Before step 4, make sure you have an SMB server on. For Mac Users just use Text-Edit and for the SMB server, Go to System Preferences, Sharing, Enable file-sharing, Go to options and check off SMB! Also if you want to add an account you want to connect to, Then click the plus and add it.

4: In the SMB1:/ slot fill in your stats. IP Address, Folder you want to connect to and this includes sub-folders, The username of the user, NOTE: The username must not have a space in it. If it does change it, Then enter password if you have one.

5: Save and take out the SD Card and insert into Wii. Load up Homebrew Channel

6: Open MPlayer and click on Open. Then select File.. and then select SMB. Next click SMB Server 1 and watch magic happen [​IMG]!! Select your movie!

FIN. HOPE THIS HELPED

2. Meannekes

Member Meannekes GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    NOTE: The username must not have a space in it. If it does change it, ...

lol? why we have to change it? look at the google code site or the readme... you dont have to change

if the username have space in it (or the folder name) than just put " in front and the end --> "Musik Video"

3. Empyr69er

Member Empyr69er GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    thanks for the tutorial..I will set this shit up tonight!

4. EeZeEpEe

Member EeZeEpEe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I know this is an old post but I would just like to add to the Mac OS X part. You can use your guest account to access the files so there's no need to put your main account information. By default this guest option should be on but follow my steps to make sure that they are. I'll start after step 3.

3a : Go to System Preference and select Accounts.

3b : Under Other Accounts you should see Guest Account. Click the lock on the bottom right and put your password.

3c: Click the Guest Account and now make sure you have "Allow guests to connect to shared folders" checked off.

When putting the information into smb.conf, the username is "guest" (without the parenthesis) and there is no password. Leave it blank.

5. jonas18z

Newcomer jonas18z Member

Sweden
    How do you play DVD-ISOs from SMB? My menus dos't work

6. lonegreyride

Newcomer lonegreyride Advanced Member

Canada
    Would be cool if someone could do this for linux... I've been trying for a while now, can't get it going... mostly because i'm new to linux. But what I could find on the googlecode page was a little all over the place, and none of it has gotten things working for me yet.

7. EeZeEpEe

Member EeZeEpEe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It should work pretty much the same way. I'm not familiar with linux but the main points are the following:
    1. Have SMB file sharing turned on.
    2. Select the folder(s) you want to share with SMB to the Wii.
    3. Edit the smb.config file in the Mplayer CE apps folder with your IP address, folder name, username, and password (If there is one).

Remember to enclose the folder name and/or username in parenthesis if there is a space. For example, folder name is "My Movies".

8. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    you have to make sure your firewall doesn't block the connection cause had a problem with it not working cause Eset smart security was blocking connection to pc

9. lonegreyride

Canada
    Yeah, I guess my problem would mostly be with setting up SMB on the PC. It is on though, and the folder is shared. I know how to set up the MPlayer smb config... I actually share another folder from Windows on the same computer. There's a page floating around somewhere on the googlecode page where a bunch of guys with the same problem tried different things, which mostly had to do with editing a couple of different files in linux. I tried all that I read, but still didn't get it working. i was just hoping that someone who had gotten it working could post exactly what needs to be done. Thanks for the reply.

10. boondoklife

Member boondoklife GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You will see @SOMENAME in there, those are unix groups, set them up like that and it will make your life simpler. I do not use a guest setup other than the public folder, so you will need a user for the wii.

This is from a heavily modded NAS so it is very light and works all the time for me. The key is to make sure you have the needed folders, users, rights, and for god's sake make sure you have passwords on the users.

11. lonegreyride

Canada
    Thanks very much... I'll compare that to mine when I get a chance, and see what I can do. The comments in there help too, thanks.

12. bosman

Member bosman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I setup mplayer last night.
    There is a very good readme.txt with the download.
    Explains everything you need to know in there.
    Guess people don't read the readme and then wonder why they can't get it to work or it bricks their Wii.

BTW, great app.......... Will come in handy when taking the kids away over xmas to have a DVDplayer/AVI/Music player all-in-one.... Oh yeah, it plays games too.

13. lonegreyride

Canada
    Yes, reading that readme is a great help is you're sharing from windows. For linux, there's a bit more to it (see linux's smb.conf edited above, for example).

14. pitweasel

Newcomer pitweasel Advanced Member

United States
    Just found this thread after discovering SMB even existed on MPlayer. Had it up and running in just a couple minutes - thanks so much!