How to repair a broken L-button?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Qtis, Apr 16, 2010.

Apr 16, 2010

How to repair a broken L-button? by Qtis at 7:09 AM (2,063 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Qtis
    OP

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Yeah well the story goes something like this: I've owned my DS for over 2 years and so far with little problems. Now during class @ UNI, my left shoulder pad stopped responding to presses. It is possible to get it to respond while pressing below the button and then pressing the L. Any ideas on how to fix this? I guess a lot of people have had this problem..

//Qtis

ps. blowing inside the DS doesn't really help..

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    Hrm. Well, if blowing doesn't help (are you sure you blew it right by the way? Like putting your lips around the L button), maybe try using a can of compressed air? And if that doesn't work, you could open up the DS and try to clean the contact area..

3. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    Really? I owned my newest DS for 2 months and already starting to have a failing R button, my last DS lasted 4 months before the L started going out.

Advice, get a Trigram scredriver and take apart your DS. Try getting a bottle of alcohol and a can of air and clean/blast the button.

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You got to blow on it like you're giving it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. It's not just the air that helps, it's more the moisture that provides better contact for the button.
    And don't give up hope. Keep doing this and the DS might just magically be completely fixed (as it did for me).

5. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Interesting. Maybe I'll just be blowing on it like there's no tomorrow [​IMG]

I've been checking around the internet for parts and the only (cheap) part that I've found was on DX. Any suggestions on whether to buy just a triwing + the other needed screwdriver or add the spare parts to the cart at the same time? Has anyone had any experience with DX repair parts like these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13264

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    They should be fine, just so long as you can install them properly. You'll need to know how to use a soldering iron, and that always carries some risk to your DS. I have no clue why everyone rated the Ease of Use so high.

7. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    I don't think the soldering would be a problem. I'm pretty confident that I can manage to get it to work [​IMG]

Then again if the DS breaks, I'd have to buy a new one anyways.. Just ordered the pieces and lets see how long they take to arrive.

//Qtis

8. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    One thing to keep in mind is that the components are usually not quite the same as the original. Don't expect them to be perfect, or to last forever. But, hell, they're cheap.

9. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Indeed I know that but considering the situation my DSL is in, I don't think that a working button is that bad. If it works, it works [​IMG]

We'll see how long it takes to get here since all the airports are closed here in Finland.. Bah I'll post reports after I've received the parts and actually got it to work.

//Qtis

10. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    Got the same Problem too..
    but.. mines gone working for a month by just pressing it and pressing it
    and VOILA! my L button has gone working!!!

11. thtl1999

Newcomer thtl1999 Member

Korea, South
    i got a same problem before, but i repaired now.
    i cut some of plastic bottom of L (or R)
    it is not perfect, but it works fine for me

12. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    The R button on my DSL was like that, I just pulled up the button slightly so it popped out then blew really hard then pushed the button back in, I only had to do it every few weeks.

13. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Oddly enough it seems to work about 99% of the time I need it. Still soft resetting is a pain with L+R+Down+B. Seems like I have to change that to R+Down+B..

Well if it breaks again I'll have parts + tools to make it work if they actually arrive here during this millennium thanks to that ash up in the sky..

//Qtis

14. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    I also have the same problem on a 1+ year old DSL, I think the question is....is it just a problem of it being simply a dirty contact (taking it apart and cleaning would be the solution) or is it more of a problem that needs replacement of parts?

15. EpicJungle

Member EpicJungle stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy

Canada
    DON'T.... EVER.... BLOW INTO A DS L BUTTON (or R button) while it's on, or maybe even when it's off [​IMG] ..
    My top screen went really retarded after I blew it a few times... That's the reason why I bought a dsi... but then the top screen got better [​IMG]
    Try using an electric fan, it kinda worked for me [​IMG]

16. sphinx.djc

Member sphinx.djc GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Without making a new topic, my R button on my DSi is not responding when I press it. I need to press really hard and for some games its frustrating, especially when you need a quicker response from pressing it. My warranty with Nintendo is up, I e-mailed them but I've received no reply. I'm going to try and repair this myself, is it just dust thats gathered under the button?

17. Potticus

Member Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How to repair a broken L-button?, What do I need to do?

Without making a new topic, my R button on my DSi is not responding when I press it.

WHAT? lol

18. sphinx.djc

Member sphinx.djc GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah... thats my question, how to repair a not properly functioning button on a DSi. I said I didn't want to make a new topic because this one runs along the lines of it, so do you have a solution?

19. Akothegreat

Member Akothegreat GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I had the my L button fixed perfectly after replacing the button detector(or whatever you call it). It's a hardware problem that comes out after years of usage. it's the thing that makes the click sound when you press it, but I think it's a rare part so good luck

20. SuperMarioMaster

Member SuperMarioMaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Believe it or not, blowing into the button makes it work again. (Or at least, it did it for me.)