How to Refresh Windows 10

You guys probably know this but In case U don't,, you can reinstall Windows 10 and keep all of your programs/Apps, files videos, Games & well, everything else that is on your PC right now.
Don’t know if it works on Brand Name PC’s like DELL or HP etc because I have not tried it on any of those.

But there is a catch, you can only do it if your computer is bootable & your version of Windows 10 is up to date.
Also, you will need to download the Windows 10 ISO image file before proceeding (you can jump this step if you already have a Windows 10 ISO image file).
NOTE: You will also need a Virtual Drive setup on your C: Drive

Putting it simply, It is like doing a completely new OS install except that you do this install from inside Windows & therefore by doing it this way it allows you to keep everything, and it installs itself around all of your cherished installed Goodies. You do not get this extra option "to keep your installed programs" when you do a system reset or a fresh install.
It is simple to do & safe and a lifesaver if your Pc is a little tired or missing a few system files etc..
I have done it on many different Windows 10 PC’s without a single hitch.

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.

2: Mount the ISO on a Virtual drive.

3: Once it is mounted right click it & choose Open in new window to continue. Now from the drop-down list of files find Setup.exe

4: Double-click Setup.exe and then click Yes to continue.

5: The install process will start, and it will begin looking for any updates you may need and if it finds something your system needs it will Download and install updates if your computer is connected to the internet. So, just let it do its thing & then when it has finished you will be prompted to click Next to continue.

6: After it has checked for updates, it will open the License agreement terms page, so click Accept when your ready to continue.

7: Now when the next screen appears choose Keep personal files and Apps,

7: Next, the Ready to install screen appears, & it shows that you have already chosen to Install Windows 10 and Keep personal files and Apps, click Install.

After this it will begin the refresh install & then you just need to wait for the computer to restart. It takes around 45 to 60 minutes.

Your Done, and when it has finished you will have a fresh NEW clean version of Windows 10 installed with all of your settings still as they were & everything you had on your PC before will still be there..

D

Deleted User

OP
I think you can just do a refresh or reset from Advanced Startup without the ISO.
Yes but you cannot keep your installed programs & games etc, you can only save your files,
Just a heads up that this won't work if your system is screwed to the point that you can't install or uninstall updates or programs.
Yes it will work long as you can boot up your PC and get into windows

Reactions: The_Monado_Satyr

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that must be one of the most advanced tutorials i've ever read

zwischenablage02najp5.jpg

god. who the f*ck writes these "tutorials"

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting it simply, It is like doing a completely new OS install except that you do this install from inside Windows & therefore by doing it this way it allows you to keep everything, and it installs itself around all of your cherished installed Goodies. You do not get this extra option "to keep your installed programs" when you do a system reset or a fresh install.
It is simple to do & safe and a lifesaver if your Pc is a little tired or missing a few system files etc..

Upgrading doesn't count as fresh install, only if you fresh reinstall OS it counts as 100% clean.

I have done it on many different Windows 10 PC’s without a single hitch.

It is not always guarantees it will upgrade fine, if the feature update to 21H1 fail to install it will just revert back to previous windows version that was installed.

Your Done, and when it has finished you will have a fresh NEW clean version of Windows 10 installed with all of your settings still as they were & everything you had on your PC before will still be there..

Upgrading doesn't count as new clean version of windows, only if you partition the drive, and reinstall windows 10 it count as NEW clean copy of windows.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo, you should keep a disk image, updating or creating a new one periodically, for when your system is working very well, just in case you have to reinstall windows or something due to a problem. it can save you.

edit: my system can install a disk image of about 230GBs to a ssd in about 30-40 minutes. everything is intact and just as you left it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo, you should keep a disk image, updating or creating a new one periodically, for when your system is working very well, just in case you have to reinstall windows or something due to a problem. it can save you.

edit: my system can install a disk image of about 230GBs to a ssd in about 30-40 minutes. everything is intact and just as you left it.

For the time it would take to create a 230GB image & then install it, It would take a far, FAR lesser amount of time for me to just do a complete clean install, reinstall all of my apps, and redo all of my Windows settings & tweaks. I just back up important documents, not the entire drive. I also keep most everything off of my Windows drive and only install apps/programs to it. Everything else like movies, games, music, etc goes on a different drive. Seems like a much easier and quicker way at least for me personally. To each their own. :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the time it would take to create a 230GB image & then install it, It would take a far, FAR lesser amount of time for me to just do a complete clean install, reinstall all of my apps, and redo all of my Windows settings & tweaks. I just back up important documents, not the entire drive. I also keep most everything off of my Windows drive and only install apps/programs to it. Everything else like movies, games, music, etc goes on a different drive. Seems like a much easier and quicker way at least for me personally. To each their own. :)

Depends on the situation, if the goal was clean build then obviously it would be clean install, and reinstall app, and re-tweak settings, but it ain't bad to invest in a windows imaging software like Acronis true image and make a clone of the drive or image of the whole drive for disaster recovery purpose.

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This can also be done from the Window 10 login prompt.

Log off.
Go to the Power button on the lower right.
Hover the mouse over Restart and hold the Shift key, Click Restart and wait.

8b64173174c72e8c50f84db4492aed91.jpg

Go to Troubleshoot
2cbf682e84f898a2eb488a25521a8854.jpg

Choose Reset PC from here
or use the Advanced options to go into safe mode, recover from a saved state, or start the command prompt.

2bcf278c2e21caef02a5c4b94cf1dfb9.jpg

From here Windows 10 can be refreshed or completely reinstalled.
cbf13df4acc7c9e78efccb67dd10512b.jpg

Last edited by MicroNut99,

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up that this won't work if your system is screwed to the point that you can't install or uninstall updates or programs.
Advanced Recovery has this option and while it often does not work, Resetting the PC from the logon prompt can work.
All hope is not lost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or more like...