Hacking How to install .pkg Vita game update?

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So, I'm trying to install a specific update for my US cartridge copy of Killzone Mercenary to disable touch control: https://gbatemp.net/threads/killzone-mercenary-disable-touch-ala-pstv-on-vita.577181/

I've downloaded VitaGameUpdateChecker and KZ Mercenary's 1.11 update (16.15MB). The update is a .pkg file. How do I install the .pkg update file?

Someone told me to use PKGj but did not elaborate. I've downloaded PKGj and it seems that PKGj only works by downloading full game .pkg files directly from the internet? Is there a way to copy the .pkg file from my computer to my Vita and install it with PKGj?

Last edited by Rich8606,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only way to decrypt a package is with the zrif. you can get a long list of them with nps browser. pkgj works in pretty much the same way. it can download updates, not just the game itself, but from what I remember, it only downloads the latest update.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I remember, this:

upload_2020-12-12_13-8-29.png

I can't recall if the file comes with nps browser, but I think it does. you want the x command to put them in a folder. the rest is self explanatory, so just use x pkg name then zrif.

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I should've probably started by saying I'm a noob. I don't understand anything that you just said. So to start, I need to download this zRIF and NPSbrowser?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the zrif is just a key. you need the key to decrypt the pkg. the x command places all of the content in a folder named after the title id; otherwise, the files will be lose. you may be able to get the key from nps browser's tsv files. I don't know if the game and updates all use the same one, but they probably do, so look for killzone mercenary's zrif.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't be sure, but I just found a killzone update zrif, but the update is for a different region, and it seems to change after a certain update, so I could be wrong about them being the same. you'd have to check. I can show you an example decryption.

worked:
upload_2020-12-12_13-24-13.png

upload_2020-12-12_13-26-57.png

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Didn't work LOL, copied it, refreshed Live Area. Checked my KZ Mercenary Bubble, still version 1.00. Opened it and got an error message "The file is corrupt (C0-11137-3)". What do I do now?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try rebuilding the database, but it will delete any folders you've created.

iirc, normally nps will just give you the folder for you to add to the system. if rebuilding the database doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try. someone else may have a suggestion.

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Shit... I used my cartridge, cuz it's the only way to get version 1.00. Hang on, let me check if this NoNpDRM copy is version 1.00, could be the latest version. If so, then it's over... There's nothing I can do.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what would happen with a cartridge of the game and a nonpdrm patch. I'm out of suggestions atm if it doesn't work.

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
With the cartridge I got the "The file is corrupt (C0-11137-3)" error. Let me try NoNpDRM, still copying, 3GB worth of files.

Same result, "The file is corrupt (C0-11137-3)" error. Oh well, it was worth a shot, thanks anyway. I learnt a lot today.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have the nonpdrm plugin enabled? I'm not sure what else to try. you could try a random update from another game or a new game to see if it's working.

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I should have the plugin enabled, I've copied NoNPDRM games from Vitashell all the time, that means the plugin is enabled right?

Rich8606

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It's fine. I'm just gonna have to live with the current state of the game.

Hold up, isn't there a specific folder to patch NoNPDRM games? The tai folder?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it's still the patch folder. it's possible there's a missing command in that command line. I've never put a game I decrypted on my system. I just know what -x does. the other commands, I'm not sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: