How to format 1 TB Micro SD Card correctly

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, ordered a1 TB Card for the Deck, want to format it (not on the Deck itself, 'cause of the many posts about "breaking" their cards)....some suggestions?

THX

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Default answer to this question is use the sd card formatter at sdcard.org

If there's a better answer that's Steam Deck specific, someone else may know

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thank you for the hint.....downloaded the Formatter ...but there's no Option for choosing the Type? (ext4, and so on)
I think Steam Deck uses ext4.....

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ext 3/4 are linux filesystem wich are not supported by windows. And are journaling systems wich produce a lot of writes to the drive, becauses of logging each access and change. If you will use ext3/4, disable the journaling feature on this drive or use ext2 wich is not logging. Or use fat32/exfat for flashdrives and to be interoperal between different OS like Windows.

Steam OS is based on Arch Linux, so this are the filesystems wich are supported.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/file_systems

How to format ext4 on Linux
Run this Command in Terminal sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdbX ( sdbX > your drive)

Last edited by Sypherone,
  • Love

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, it should work and be recognized as drive. Wich can be used as normal.

Edit: If not, the driver needs to be manually installed either through the software center of ArchLinux/SteamOS or by typing in the terminal sudo pacman -S exfat-utils

Last edited by Sypherone,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't blame you for being concerned as I had to RMA a 400GB card because the Steam Deck broke it when I tried to re-format in the device. When the replacement arrived I decided to just use it for non-Steam stuff so I formatted in Windows (ExFAT or FAT32 - I can't remember which). If you want to use the card for normal Steam games then it's still recommended to format in the Deck but only do it once and don't try to ever re-format. I heard the problem was fixed but I still don't trust it.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
For what it's worth the only issue I experienced was that I tried hotswapping once, and the card wasn't detected after I popped it back in - I reformatted it (through the Deck) and it got detected after that. All in all, I reformatted a few times in the last couple of weeks through the internal formatting option and had no issues with that. Nor was I aware of people getting their cards bricked/allegedly bricked... I have a 1Tb coming in, and I'll be more careful with that one now that I am aware.

Deobulakenyo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Format the card in steam deck. If it gets corrupted, do not try to reformat it again in steam deck. pull it out, pop it in your PC and reformat it there in whatever format compatible with windows. this is just to remove the corruption in the card. pop it back again in steam deck. Rinse and repeat until the deck successfully formats the card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: