How to flash R4i DS Gold?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ArugulaZ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So hey, I recently got an R4i DS Gold in the mail. I was led to believe that it would work with the 3DS and DSi, but of course, the firmware on both of my systems blocked the card, giving me an error whenever I try to use it.

I'd like to flash the card to at least give it compatibility with the DSi... my mother is still slumming with a DS Phat and has expressed interest in something better. However, I obviously can't flash the card from my DSi or 3DS, and attempting to flash it from my DS Lite just gives me hugely frustrating "fail" errors. (I'll try the DS Phat next, but don't expect different results.)

What I'd like to know is this... is there any way to loan the cartridge out to someone with an older firmware revision on their DSi or 3DS systems, so they could flash the firmware and make it compatible with the DSi? Moreover, is it feasible that the cartridge will ever work with a 3DS, or is that just a pipe dream?

I don't know if the flash cart is legit, although I suspect it is. It came in a yellow lenticular package, and says "R4i" and "3DS" on the front, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

2. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Well, thanks anyway. -_-