ROM Hack How to convert .3ds to romfs.bin?

Let me try to help here.

-Copy the .3DS romfile into the ctrtool folder using Windows Explorer.
-While on Windows Explorer, go back/up one directory from the ctrtool one (if you are in it).
-Press and hold Shift key on your keyboard while "right clicking" with your mouse while pointing the ctrtool folder.
-On the menu that appears, select "open command window here", or something like that.
-A CMD window will open in the ctrtool folder (if you followed the instructions correctly), and you will be able to put in the commands needed to make the conversion.

Can't be any easier than this.
 
Let me try to help here.

-Copy the .3DS romfile into the ctrtool folder using Windows Explorer.
-While on Windows Explorer, go back/up one directory from the ctrtool one (if you are in it).
-Press and hold Shift key on your keyboard while "right clicking" with your mouse while pointing the ctrtool folder.
-On the menu that appears, select "open command window here", or something like that.
-A CMD window will open in the ctrtool folder (if you followed the instructions correctly), and you will be able to put in the commands needed to make the conversion.

Can't be any easier than this.

They have already done all of that above :P
I'm starting to think there is something not standard with the .3DS file since CTRtool seems to legitimately not know how to navigate it.
 
No idea, however I think this is resolved. I decided to give the HackingToolKit a run and it seems to have worked, in that it took my .3ds file and spat out a bunch of .bins:
 

Attachments

  • ToolKitOutput.png
    ToolKitOutput.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 215
Let me try to help here.

-Copy the .3DS romfile into the ctrtool folder using Windows Explorer.
-While on Windows Explorer, go back/up one directory from the ctrtool one (if you are in it).
-Press and hold Shift key on your keyboard while "right clicking" with your mouse while pointing the ctrtool folder.
-On the menu that appears, select "open command window here", or something like that.
-A CMD window will open in the ctrtool folder (if you followed the instructions correctly), and you will be able to put in the commands needed to make the conversion.

Can't be any easier than this.
THIS WORKED.

A bit of a catch, on Windows 10 you can't Shift-Click to open a command prompt, only the Power Shell. Instead you need clear the explorer address bar and replace it with "cmd". Once I did that I ran the code with -n 0 and voila! Result attached.

Thanks for the help everyone!
 

Attachments

  • ctrtool success.png
    ctrtool success.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 239
(EDIT: Mods merged this from another thread I made, but I'll keep it as-is)

This is basically a continuation of my posts in another thread, https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-convert-3ds-to-romfs-bin.517354/, How to convert .3ds to .bin.

With some excellent guidance from this forum I was finally able to make ctrtool work for me to unpack a .3ds file into .bin for hacking purposes. Then using the RomFS Extractor I was able to crack open the romfs.bin to create a browse-able directory, which is the first step on my long road to learning how to hack Fire Emblem Awakening. So thanks to @phonz and @CMDreamer who made it possible.

But before I start messing with stuff, I want to make sure that I can reverse the process and turn the .bin into a playable file. To that end I repacked the RomFS directory using RomFS Builder, creating a .bin file with an identical file-size to the one that I converted from .3ds. So what's the final step? What application do I need to use to turn the .bin into a .3ds file? I haven't changed anything, I just want to test to make sure I can convert the ROM back and forth without issue.

Attached is an image of my Romhacking directory.

-romfs_ is the directory containing the unpacked .bin files that I created using RomFS Extractor
-Awakening.3ds is the original .3ds rom I'm using
-awakeningtest.bin is the repacked .bin that I created using RomFS Builder
-romfs.bin is the .bin that I extracted from Awakening.3ds using ctrools
 

Attachments

  • Romhacking Directory.png
    Romhacking Directory.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by BigPigeon,

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted