Hacking How the 3ds handles compatability mode

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me a direct link to the bricker as well as a giant banner saying "ZOMG THIS WILL BRICK YOUR DS DON'T USE IT!" Please? I don't buy the fact that this could both break DS firmware and be simply fixed with a 3DS reformat. I have two 3DS systems and I'm willing to try it myself to either confirm or bust this.

Again,

If you want the files, PM ichifly

He was the one who rebuilt them based off of the virus signature and what it does (therefore they're not the r0mloader.nds or taihen.nds files), instead they're a custom version, but the effect is the same. I don't want to redistribute them without his go-ahead, because it was his choice to allow this to be resurrected. If he doesn't want the possibility of these floating around in the wild, I'm not going to go against his decision. Granted, I've also never consulted him on that fact.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Random videos on the internet aren't what I'd call "conclusive evidence"... hence my asking for the actual file. I'll try and get in touch with him then.

If this is a real problem I'd think the correct response would actually be to get in touch with Nintendo about it. "Bricking" the DS/i portion of the 3DS doesn't benefit anyone at all but it would cause harm to regular customers who just happen to homebrew. It wouldn't even be too big of a thing to block (simply have the DS emulator prevent any "firmware" writing to any section other than WiFi settings)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Random videos on the internet aren't what I'd call "conclusive evidence"... hence my asking for the actual file. I'll try and get in touch with him then.

If this is a real problem I'd think the correct response would actually be to get in touch with Nintendo about it. "Bricking" the DS/i portion of the 3DS doesn't benefit anyone at all but it would cause harm to regular customers who just happen to homebrew. It wouldn't even be too big of a thing to block (simply have the DS emulator prevent any "firmware" writing to any section other than WiFi settings)

Except it's not just a "random video", it's one that I recorded myself. "Hey this is plasma dragon007 from gbatemp here". Bricking DS/i doesn't benefit anyone unless it leads to an exploit, which I HIGHLY doubt it possibly could. However, this does give us insight that DS/i mode isn't as locked down as it appears to be and that it does in some way directly interface with the 3DS SM, because rather than just locking up once DS/i mode launches, it throws an exception to the OS. And the general user isn't just going to find these files. The general user doesn't even know what a flashcard is, and for those that do, once you use one your warranty is null and void (not that Nintendo can really figure it out easily), and anything you do is on you now. I've looked tens of pages deep into google for the r0mloader.nds and taihen.nds, and I can find nothing containing a download link. As far as this current variant goes, ichifly and myself are (to my knowledge, unless he distributed them to others as well) are the only people in possession of the files. For what it's worth, I just PMed him as well asking his permission to privately redistribute the bricker. I'll see what he says.

And in all honesty, I have nothing to even gain or troll people with from this, there's no logical reason for me to spoof this. Not to mention I don't even know how to edit video with After Effects or Sony Vegas or the likes, outside of Windows Movie Maker lol. Someone might get a rise out of trolling with a fake vid of a 3DS emu as everyone gets excited then disappointed and angry as people disprove it. I shot a video saying "this is bad. this does bad things to your system.", concerning things that, as I said, pretty much nobody even has access to anymore, so it's pretty inconsequential. Meh, believe what ya want. I'll be shooting another video the next time an update comes around.

Reactions: 1 person

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it's not just a "random video", it's one that I recorded myself.

Err... Who are you again? Oh right... you're a random person on the internet posting a random video. Sorry, but if I was to accept everything based on a cammed youtube video I'd be a bigger dope than the people on the 3DS hacker forums who can't get the hack to work no matter how many "pay per click" links they click on.

As for the "average" user, you're correct. The average user doesn't know, but there are several million people who DO use flashcarts who CAN damage their internal 3ds flash and COULD be clogging up Nintendo repair centers or not buying retail 3DS games because they feel their system is broken.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Err... Who are you again? Oh right... you're a random person on the internet posting a random video. Sorry, but if I was to accept everything based on a cammed youtube video I'd be a bigger dope than the people on the 3DS hacker forums who can't get the hack to work no matter how many "pay per click" links they click on.

As for the "average" user, you're correct. The average user doesn't know, but there are several million people who DO use flashcarts who CAN damage their internal 3ds flash and COULD be clogging up Nintendo repair centers or not buying retail 3DS games because they feel their system is broken.
GTFO out of my forums if you don't believe him. It is proof.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sorry if I've somehow hurt you and your friend's feelings (I doubt the fact that you joined 3 days apart and are from the same country are mere coincidences...) but believe it or not that was never my intention. I will, however, again state that random videos on the internet do not prove anything, nor are they proof on their own. If this is all 100% true why even bother to argue with me for it? If I can get a hold of it, I can test it myself and it's a match for what happens with plasma then hooray I just confirmed it. If it doesn't match, well either way we've furthered scientific cause by confirming or denying it.

Believe it or not, it's not a sin to doubt others, nor is it something you should be offended by.

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.o everyone has a right to say something, even if it doesn't make sense to you. just let it go, acting aggressive to prove them wrong is a futile effort. if you don't agree, don't say anything. its threads like these that cause me to lurk so much :/ plus people fight over if rumors are real all the time, just acknowledge the rumor and wait for more info. don't fight over it.

ps: this is more directed to the forum as a whole because i see something like this everytime i come back, not to any particular person as i only read the 1st and 4th page because the OP's question was answered there was no reason to read any further. only reason i read the 4th page and wrote this is because it loaded there and i read koji's post :/ back to lurking~

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Err... Who are you again? Oh right... you're a random person on the internet posting a random video. Sorry, but if I was to accept everything based on a cammed youtube video I'd be a bigger dope than the people on the 3DS hacker forums who can't get the hack to work no matter how many "pay per click" links they click on. If you fall for those pay per click links, you deserve whatever misfortune befalls you and your technology.

As for the "average" user, you're correct. The average user doesn't know, but there are several million people who DO use flashcarts who CAN damage their internal 3ds flash and COULD be clogging up Nintendo repair centers or not buying retail 3DS games because they feel their system is broken. Hence why as soon as you use one, it's out of warranty. I did it with mine, admittedly, because it's still in warranty, though I had a good feeling that a format could (and did) fix it. ichifly just messaged me via PM again saying that perhaps changing the DS color and Message could fix it. I never did try that, and I WILL before updating next time an update rolls out, but interestingly enough I checked my DS Message and it says "Ich hab nen DSi und du?xD" Which translates, from German, and ichifly resides in Germany, "I have (not sure what nen is) and you?" Considering he re-wrote the files, I can only wonder if something of his settings got transferred to mine. Nevermind.

I'm sorry if I've somehow hurt you and your friend's feelings (I doubt the fact that you joined 3 days apart and are from the same country are mere coincidences...) but believe it or not that was never my intention. I will, however, again state that random videos on the internet do not prove anything, nor are they proof on their own. If this is all 100% true why even bother to argue with me for it? If I can get a hold of it, I can test it myself and it's a match for what happens with plasma then hooray I just confirmed it. If it doesn't match, well either way we've furthered scientific cause by confirming or denying it.

Believe it or not, it's not a sin to doubt others, nor is it something you should be offended by.

Lol you've got to be shitting me. Not only do I not even know his name, but do you know a) how many members GBATemp has registered, and b) how many people live in the US? USA population is 311.5 MILLION, and GBATemp has roughly 286 THOUSAND members registered. People register on this site every day. Whether someone from the same COUNTRY as me joins in the same week I do doesn't mean I do or don't know them.

Reactions: 1 person

Mc Nasty

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
He was the one who rebuilt them based off of the virus signature and what it does (therefore they're not the r0mloader.nds or taihen.nds files), instead they're a custom version, but the effect is the same. I don't want to redistribute them without his go-ahead, because it was his choice to allow this to be resurrected. If he doesn't want the possibility of these floating around in the wild, I'm not going to go against his decision. Granted, I've also never consulted him on that fact.
Would it be possible to apply the 'flashme' to the firmware NDS? (of 3DS of course) since I have noticed some functions that it is possible to modify parts of the firmware NDS of 3DS..
Now my question comes I hope it is possible to modify components of this section of the firmware of the console..
I have used ' Firmware. NDS ' and I could have seen that the console handles 2 ID's of console (NDS and 3DS) and I have used hardware to extract the firmware NDS (Firmware.bin and biosnds7/9.rom) in 3DS and can have noticed that this one possesses segments of the firmware NDS (Name, conections and other informations)
Theoretically applying the flashme and modifying the corresponding part in this "mini imware", to remove the blocking to ancient flashcarts NDS or possible to have control of the firmware NDS of the console 3DS..Remembr is onli a simply theorie..

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to apply the 'flashme' to the firmware NDS? (of 3DS of course) since I have noticed some functions that it is possible to modify parts of the firmware NDS of 3DS..
Now my question comes I hope it is possible to modify components of this section of the firmware of the console..
I have used ' Firmware. NDS ' and I could have seen that the console handles 2 ID's of console (NDS and 3DS) and I have used hardware to extract the firmware NDS (Firmware.bin and biosnds7/9.rom) in 3DS and can have noticed that this one possesses segments of the firmware NDS (Name, conections and other informations)
Theoretically applying the flashme and modifying the corresponding part in this "mini imware", to remove the blocking to ancient flashcarts NDS or possible to have control of the firmware NDS of the console 3DS..Remembr is onli a simply theorie..

Tried, doesn't work. The flasher reports "Unrecognized Firmware". I never did document it with video, but the next time an update rolls out I am going to go through all of this again, show failing to install flashme and also FWNitro (didn't try it yet but I can only assume it too would fail), changing message/color as ichifly suggested to me, and then going through an update process to see if that unbricks it without a format.

Mc Nasty

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Tried, doesn't work. The flasher reports "Unrecognized Firmware". I never did document it with video, but the next time an update rolls out I am going to go through all of this again, show failing to install flashme and also FWNitro (didn't try it yet but I can only assume it too would fail), changing message/color as ichifly suggested to me, and then going through an update process to see if that unbricks it without a format.
I refer after create a modified version of flashme or any program that a firmware (NDS) was allowing us to insert modified in 3DS (that his installation does not prevent).. Since memory there were programs that they were allowing us to insert firmware in a NDS..
Theoretically ' CreeboMe ' or FW Nitro do not possess check of the firmware and there might be round there some option to install..

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Why would he lie..? :blink:

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Why would he lie..? :blink:

Don't worry, it's just some random guy on the internet trying to give someone a hard time. To get a rise.
That's a troll, I say that's a troll, son!

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, it's just some random guy on the internet trying to give someone a hard time. To get a rise.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm being insulting or anything of the like, but "why would I lie" is hardly trust inducing... And what the hell is wrong with wanting to confirm things myself? I'm flabberghasted that so many people who are a part of a forum where lies and half-truths are part of the day to day routine (do a quick search of every sub forum on GBAtemp and I guarantee you'll find at least a couple new threads a day either with outright hoaxes, or links to faked youtube videos asking if it's real or not) would be against anyone wanting to give extra confirmation on any topic.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm being insulting or anything of the like, but "why would I lie" is hardly trust inducing... And what the hell is wrong with wanting to confirm things myself? I'm flabberghasted that so many people who are a part of a forum where lies and half-truths are part of the day to day routine (do a quick search of every sub forum on GBAtemp and I guarantee you'll find at least a couple new threads a day either with outright hoaxes, or links to faked youtube videos asking if it's real or not) would be against anyone wanting to give extra confirmation on any topic.
How many of such threads are not locked?
Plasma is generally accepted as a trusted member of the 3DS hacking section.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol