Question How stupid is Nintendo?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bonny, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Bonny
    OP

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    If i take a look at the current Switch hacking-progress, there's really one big question that bothers me: Why isn't Nintendo able to protect their hardware?

Hacking a PS3 is often a hassle with limitations, some models/FW's are unhackabe (as much as i kow). PS4 and XboxOne have been on the market for much longer and are still unhacked.

How f****** incompetent is Nintendo? And why?

2. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I feel like Nintendo maybe focuses more on hiring people who are able to provide a nice experience for the end user than they do people who are able to keep their consoles secure. I don't know why they'd do that, though.
    It could also be that there's not very many people willing to work for Nintendo who have the skills to create something secure?

Bonny likes this.
  3. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    It's hard to tell if their security is particularly bad or Nintendo consoles are just bigger targets for homebrew because they're usually a million times better hacked and when it comes to piracy, their games are much smaller and are thus quicker and easier to download and Nintendo consoles are often the cheapest.

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    they made a phone app to do voice chat so does that answer your question? :creep:

loopsbee8, Deboog, phreaksho and 34 others like this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I think that's the one

6. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    The switch is surely not cheap in my country: 329 Euros just for the console. PS4 and Xbox One are available for 199 Euro :rofl:

Last edited by Bonny, Jul 25, 2017
  7. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What were they at launch??

8. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    If somehow you were instantly placed with four of your dearest friends as heads of hardware security at Nintendo, obviously you'll do so much better than them. In half the budget. And getting constant payments from nvidia for upgrading their products.

On a more serious comment I'll tell you this: every big company mistake is usually tied to hard decisions, budget planning and trade-offs. You want the most powerful portable console ever, capable of 720p gaming on the go, with great batteries, better yet feeling and an oustanding NSA-like security starting at 2 bucks in store at release day.

Please, a little bit of reality around here. Cheap systems = cheap construction (in some sense). The switch looks quite sturdy to me, physically. The cost reduction has to be the hw architectural/software.

insidexdeath, Hozu, RayD97 and 5 others like this.
  9. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    PS4 and XboxOne? Well, sure. At launch they were much more expensive. Especially the XboxOne with it's stupid Kinect-Bundle.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Well that explains their network service and their UIs in games.

11. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    I would create a brick-code, would insert it in any scene release that comes out, and upload these manipulated games/software to countless file hosters. I would spread terror and fear :evil:

antiswirl likes this.
  12. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    And promptly get fired because you are wasting your time and company resources on useless code for production. :)

13. darklordrs

darklordrs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    May as well ask the same question I ask whenever I see threads like these:

Could you do better?

No? Cool, figured. The grand majority of GBAtemp couldn't run more than one lemonade stand at once if they tried, much less properly proof the Switch against people who batter it as hard as they can for months to find exploits. Compared to the other primary major console developers, they have some catching up to do, but they're leagues ahead of everyone else. Chill.

14. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I belive that's illegal

Hozu, TotalInsanity4, 466 and 2 others like this.
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sure is unhacked if you don't count people sideloading apps using dev privilege, then why bother hacking when people focusing on homebrew which it can already have access to. :P

And just cause nintendo security in their stuff isn't good enough to keep hackers out, doesn't make them dumb. We dunno what any of the console engineers plans are or what is capable of outside of the selling point. Some people are just good at hacking things and some are easier than others. Is a matter of time and effort one is willing to invest.

16. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Valhalla
    I think it's more due to desperation rather than incompetency, although stuff like this

steer me towards the latter.

If the Switch was a flop it would have been disastrous for Nintendo, security was the least of their worries.

They could have hired a good security team to prevent piracy, hacks, etc. (especially seeing how easy and rampant piracy was on the 3DS and Wii U) but they decided to focus resources on just the essential stuff instead.

It also doesn't help that they rushed the switch out to launch and most of the people who hacked the 3DS are now actively hacking the Switch which afaik has a lot of similarities to the 3DS OS.

They know their console is gonna get hacked, they did the minimum they could which is offer a bug bounty program, but I'm guessing that they decided early on to just rely on the 'stability' update and banwave route.

17. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Maybe Nintendo should have made some other os and then took it away later on.

18. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    They just spend most of their R&D/production money on the hardware and games, their software seems to take a hit every time (this includes online services).

19. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    There's no proof, yet people still do posts like these.

20. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Look at the PS4 its been possible to boot Linux on 1.76 for years, later firmware have exploits, yet theirs no piracy or PS4 homebrew yet (although it looks like it might be close at this point on 1.76 at least).

People are getting excited over nothing at this point on the Switch, plus has the entry point been used not already patched by Nintendo on post launch firmware? Sure long term this progress might help, however i'd be surprised if theirs homebrew and piracy anytime soon on the Switch.

Felek666 likes this.