How much does Nintendo's digital software management system put you off?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't put me off at all. I don't buy digital games. My SD cards are more for the smaller games, not retail games. Also Ace Attorney is all on Capcom, not Nintendo.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Why do you have to buy the game again if Nintendo's servers go down?!!
What if your HDD fails and you forget to copy the game over? Surely, Nintendo doesn't allow that.

Firstly wasn't disputing the hard drive failure. You made a list of scenarios where you'd have to pay for a game again, including Nintendo's servers going down. *That* is the one I was disputing - how does Nintendo's server going down result in you needing to pay for a game twice?

Secondly... though I'm not sure - and I'm sure somebody with better knowledge than me will confirm or correct me - I believe your downloads are ties to your console, and in the event of a hard drive failure then you can simply replace the hard drive and re-download your game?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly wasn't disputing the hard drive failure. You made a list of scenarios where you'd have to pay for a game again, including Nintendo's servers going down. *That* is the one I was disputing - how does Nintendo's server going down result in you needing to pay for a game twice?

Secondly... though I'm not sure - and I'm sure somebody with better knowledge than me will confirm or correct me - I believe your downloads are ties to your console, and in the event of a hard drive failure then you can simply replace the hard drive and re-download your game?

But then the console will die out, games shouldn't be tied to a console

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you ever actually answer a question?
I think what he was trying to say was that if Nintendo ever goes out of business or stops supporting the eShop, and you lose your downloads somehow, you no longer have a way to access what you legally bought (unless of course you hack the system, provided there is one)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think what he was trying to say was that if Nintendo ever goes out of business or stops supporting the eShop, and you lose your downloads somehow, you no longer have a way to access what you legally bought (unless of course you hack the system, provided there is one)

That's effectively damning digital content rather than the way it's managed. At least other systems enable you to store downloads elsewhere (rather than solely on the console tied to the content) for "archival" purposes. I actually think he meant that the console itself would fail...in which case you'd have to wrangle with a Nintendo rep over the phone...

Although saying Nintendo is likely to go out of business is ridiculous.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii