How is "update data" released by Scene working?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MrEl, May 12, 2014.

1. MrEl
    OP

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States
    Have anyone tried to update the game using "update data" released by scene such as sceneID#700-708?
    I guess we may be able to connect other regions' server by updating with these, but anyone tried this before?

2. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa
    Could you be more specific? From what I can find, scene releases in that range are all standard rom dumps.z

EDIT: Was looking at a bad scene list. Disregard my stupidity o_o;

3. soaresden

soaresden GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    France
    These are .cia extension right ?

Since it's unrecognized format -> I forgot it and made on emunand the official update

4. MrEl
    OP

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States
    Yes, it's in CIA format. I was just wondering if this is working at this point since Gateway now supports online features.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    .cia are unusable, they where dumped but no way of installing them

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    how is it working?
    it's not :) (at the moment)

-edit
    (sure psp and 3ds are different things, but the same general idea applies) i'm sure something similar could be done one day if it gets to it, with the psp, some games needed updates to go online, and, i forget the reason, but, playing the .iso, you could not download the update, or, you could not use the update, something like that. most times all an update is, is a new executable file, to replace the old one. eventually, we were able to replace the old executable in the .iso with the new one from the update patch.

if we are able to decrypt roms (people can, not publicly), decrypt .cia files too, i assume the same people who can decrypt roms can decrypt these, then, i imagine that just the same thing as the psp scene did, we can do here, and rebuild the rom with the new update, this way we would be able to have things like out of region updates installed, i've seen lots of people upset that they can't play monster hunter online ha.
    we can't do this yet, but i reckon it's very feasible.

or, as soon as we can install .cia files, then it's all taken care of :)