Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess it depends on the subject.
for story based imagination (movie/book) I'd say it's very poor (1/10 or 2/10), though I have a very good imagination/deduction to guess how a story will turn or end. Authors are always using the same tricks and way to film or depict a situation, things are so obvious.

For everyday life, I might have too much imagination, like "what if that person think this or that, and he/she will react or do that because based on what I said..." etc.
having too much imagination here is probably bad, stressful and near paranoia...
always anticipating other's behavior or what they might think based on what you do is tiring.
9 or 10/10

For different things, like Scifi : do alien exist? if they do, which form they could have if not physical? if physical, why would they be our size, or even human shaped? etc.
if there's something as a soul, and another thing as reincarnation after death, why would it be stuck to earth ? if you die outside of earth (ISS, moon, mars) would you reincarnate on earth or the place you died? if not limited to one planet, were we aliens in a previous life? will we reincarnate on another planet next time?
8/10!

Last edited by Cyan,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Depends on the subject for me too, it can be from a perfect 10 when I'm plotting bad things or making video games/video game scenarios to a minus infinity for everything else:rofl2:

Reactions: Cyan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Subject dependent as well.
If I am designing a tool path for a machining process then pretty good if I say so myself. Building things is fine as well but it is basically the same problem to solve.

Writing stories is something I have not really done since we were compelled to in high school, and as far as writing anything myself I will happily stick to technical writing for the foreseeable future. If I want I can see a story coming but it does not take the most for me to be able to switch that off these days and just go along for the ride. On the flip side the ability to write stories is a fascinating one for me so I happily take in hours upon hours of discussion of the matter. Indeed right now I am going through Brandon Sanderson's online lectures on writing and storytelling
https://www.youtube.com/user/WriteAboutDragons
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDSmC26Dr0zxiZBRWERzIFA/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_Yq-hCQ9kmCiNdDeIrbgA/videos
My only regret is some time prior to this I was made aware of his Laws of Magic
https://coppermind.net/wiki/Sanderson's_Laws_of_Magic
The first one
"An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic. "
It is then one of the things I immediately internalised and have pop into my head every time, and to that end I mostly find Harry Potter, especially that prequel film, to be amusing light shows without stakes or at least discernable ones.
Legend has it that he once said shared his rules at a discussion panel and it was not well met by the other panellists and audience.

If I am reading a story book or listening to an audiobook I will usually visualise a few things to go along with it and always have. Similarly when games did not show me everything I can usually fill in the gaps.

Composing music... haha no. That said the programs you can smack to generate music for you usually fit my needs here.

Editing video. It works for me. Still loads to learn but always will have that for everything.

Drawing things. I draw like an engineer and have completely and utterly embraced modern workflows to the point where there is no way I can "have" to get it right first time. All about the construction lines, layers and such.

Carving. I do the occasional relief carving but for the most part I have a CNC for that. Any more 3d carving is replicating a piece for something I am fixing.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give myself a 3, only because I'm capable of thinking about normal things and I can guess a few possible generic outcomes of various scenarios.

I've done very, very poorly in any creative writing class and even worse in design or art courses. I just don't have the ability to write or create anything interesting (My artistic ability is also trash, but that doesn't really have anything to do with imaginative ability).

D

Deleted User

Sometimes I wonder if I have an overactive imagination or an inactive imagination. So, I know this is cheap, but I'll put myself down as constantly fluctuating between 1 and 10.

Reactions: ThoD

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it's writting, i'd say 7.5/10. But for drawing, it's around 2/10 or so. I'm terrible at imaginating anything to draw, honestly.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I govern a universe.

I take on various roles in my universe but most of the time the story writes itself for better or worse. Sure I can nudge it one way or the other but some stuff just happens. Some times even time itself falls apart or warps and different timelines cross in unexpected ways. I'm rarely in control of a situation and even my own current avatar will resists my will or start having thought and behavior patterns I can't control, such as panic, fear, love, and ecstasy. I've been raped, owned, killed, fought in wars both pointless and important, crossed the stars, done rapes, killed people, destroyed planets, walked several primitive worlds both as a traveler and as a native, swam in countless oceans, seas and pools, fought different six gods, was owned by two. It's been a long journey and so much has happened, from a giant tree growing in a fraction of second in the middle of a free way to being trapped in a reality warpers subconscious happy place.

I've written quite a bit, but I haven't written something I'd call publish worthy yet. My first book has little to do with the current universe. The second one isn't finished since a book needs to be coherent it it jumps point of view. I'm mainly started writing small sort of connected but not really stories since it's easier and I can jump from one avatar to another without causing too much trouble. Being stuck in a single avatar is like being in a prison. Though I'll stick with one for a while if things are going great. My definition of great probably isn't anyone else's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.