How Feasible Would This Be?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sasori, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    So, within the last month we learned that we can access more than we thought we could(game contents) Which in turn has allowed us to use Rom Hacks, or even adjust small things in the system menu.

Then Smealum tweeted something. A User was able to edit the text in the system settings, which means he must have dumped it or at least was loading an external file over it.

So my idea would be. Using homebrew to dump/load a modified system settings app with a DS Profile Exploit in it. Which in turn would allow us to do fun things.

I plan on looking a bit into it myself. However I would like some opinions from the rest of the community. Since Im sure there are details that Im not thinking of :)

2. jaksy

jaksy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Wouldn't you still need kernel access or a 9.2 or lower FW to run rxtools to downgrade the mset to an exploitable version?

3. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    I'd assume so. But my thinking is, that you can just load it overtop of the existing files and take priority. Even if the version isnt exploitable. Since it will be reading different data(if that makes sense)

4. zeldafan20081

zeldafan20081 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2008
    United States
    North Carolina
    I think I've read a post on Reddit about someone trying to run an older dump of the System Settings app overtop their current one using HANS. It didn't work. I'm not sure about a modified one.

I feel like I've read someone else's post about Smea putting some sort of protection over that kind of change, but I'm not sure if I read that post wrong or not. If I find the posts, I'll link them here.

EDIT: It seems someone JUST tried this half an hour ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/c..._observationexperiment_with_mset_downgrading/

Last edited by zeldafan20081, Nov 5, 2015
  5. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I've been thinking about this ever since I first saw the system settings in HANS

6. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Im dumping the system settings as we speak. Worst case scenario we cant do much of anything and I waste my time lol

7. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    You should consider contacting that reddit poster zeldafan pointed out and share findings.
    It looks like he has the files and just needs someone to test.

Last edited by jaksy, Nov 5, 2015
  8. zeldafan20081

zeldafan20081 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2008
    United States
    North Carolina
    Let us know how it works out. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll test it out tomorrow after I get home from college.

9. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    So, not to burst anyone's bubble, but just because you have an exploitable version of MSET doesn't mean jack in the long run, all MSET is is another entrypoint, so really if there was any way to do anything interesting from it it would also be able to be done with ironhax, ninjhax, OoT3dhax, browserhax and menuhax entrypoints... So really there isn't any useful applications as you need one of those entrypoints to get this working in the first place, it would honestly just be easier to just use the existing entrypoints instead of making new ones to do the same thing

10. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    No one said we where making new ones. In all of my replies Ive already stated im using the existing ones.

11. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Unless we find another kernel exploit (about a 0.0001% chance of happening)

12. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    What you're trying to do is make a "new" entrypoint for 9.3+ systems using MSET from HANS right? Or did I miss something? Basically there really is no point in even trying as it won't amount to anything is what I'm trying to say

13. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Eh, personally I'm on a lower FW and already have kernel access, I'm just curious about this as an experiment to check the rigidity and boundaries of hans.

dark_samus3 likes this.
  14. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    There's a higher chance than that, I'm pretty sure some people have kernel exploits and haven't released them... No system is perfect so it's possible, all we need is a good reverse engineer who's willing to share their work (though I can't blame them for not wanting to share based on the community)