Question How far off are we from permanent CFW

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Zumoly, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Zumoly
    OP

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Hi Guys!
    I'd really appreciate some informative answers on this matter especially from @CTCaer, @rajkosto or @Reisyukaku (who quite know best how payloads work).
    I understand that a few months back although the possibility to write in the Switch NAND was there it was avoided as there was no way to restore a corrupt NAND.
    Now with the achievements done in the scene (NAND backup & restore, ChoixduJour), is it possible to modify some of the system files (like AutoRCM does) to have a permanently patched CFW?
    The intention for this is to be able to normally boot into the CFW without using a payload (obviously) and do away with AutoRCM.

2. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    For anything above 3.0.1 -> will most likely never happen.
    For anythung under 3.0.2 -> maybe someday.
    If you hate using a dongle and a jig/autoRCM that much, do a soldering job with an internal modchip. There's a guy offering that job somewhere.

Last edited by lordelan, Sep 19, 2018
  3. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    You can’t just modify system files, because pretty much everything is sig checked :P

Lacius and Itzumi like this.
  4. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I'm sure they're going to appreciate you tagging them.

Anyway, it will all require an entirely new exploit. That's not to say it's impossible, but as far as we know such an exploit doesn't even exist in private yet.

AutoRCM doesn't modify system files, it corrupts the first byte of the pubkey in BOOT0 to force RCM mode to enable.

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can't have permanent CFW without it being properly signed by Nintendo; that's why we need an exploit to load any unsigned code aka homebrew/CFW.

ry755, Lacius, gnilwob and 1 other person like this.
  6. rajkosto

rajkosto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 6, 2017
    Dump your bootrom and dig around for new exploits if you dont want to rely on the RCM one.

-----a, m4xw, Lacius and 4 others like this.
  7. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    So I don't need to open a new thread: Is there a way to dump gc reader rom?
    I searched for days for a broken switch, but they still go for 150-250€ :wtf: and I won't open my working one...

A way to temp update or downgrade the gcr is all thats missing for emuNAND from lower FW's (except emuNAND oc).
    I remember someone (probably rajkosto) to say he looked at it.

charlieb likes this.
  8. Erol

Erol GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Just stay on CFW. for me it’s permanent.

9. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Right now, it seems RCM is all we got. I believe we'll see warmboot with Atmosphere but in a matter of time and only on FW lower than 3.0.1. POSSIBLY as high as 4.1 but that's kind of stretching it. Even with warmboot though it won't be an insta-boot CFW but more of a boot normally, do a few things, reboot to CFW like ninjhax was to the 3ds.

For that turn on straight to CFW effect you're gonna have to hardmod.

10. pworld

pworld Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    No, warmboot will definitely be available for 4.1.
    And yeah, 1.0.0 has good chances of getting a coldboot solution, higher versions probably not - < 3.0.2 also only have a slim chance.

So @OP: If you have 1.0.0, we are probably not that far away, else we are virtually infinitely far away.

11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    The wiiu never got permanent cfw so it may also never happen for "later firmware" but tbh I would be very pleased with what we have and with autorcm and a dongle it doesn't get much better anyway. We can run virtually everything that is needed so all a permanent cfw will give us is permanent cfw.

Last edited by Reecey, Sep 20, 2018
  12. pworld

pworld Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
  13. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    Never heard about CBHC?

charlieb and Kafluke like this.
  14. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    CBHC is da shit. <drops mic>

HtheB likes this.
  15. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    cbhc isn't a permanent cfw it works of coldboot thats what it stands for Cold Boot Hax Chi but is very clever.

Last edited by Reecey, Sep 20, 2018
  16. pworld

pworld Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    why isn't it permanent?
    You can brick more easily, but other than that?

17. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    is it that hard to just use sleep mode over a full power cycle? I mean I'm no fan in general of using sleep modes vs power off on most anything, but hey, it's not so bad. so much so I've even been using it on my n3ds lately and it's got "permanent cfw"

18. pworld

pworld Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2018
    Austria
    Well, use of sleep mode is rather restricted as the system will go out of power after ~ two weeks even when fully charged. I mean, I remember that I once had a vastly more efficient sleep mode, but couldn't reproduce it any more

19. YeetedOn

YeetedOn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2018
    United Kingdom
    maybe stop being lazy and feed ur console like once a week

Erol, -----a and PanTheFaun like this.
  20. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    It's a soft mod that doesn't require you to use any button input or dongles or whatsoever when you power it on. So I don't see a reason why it's not a permanent cfw.