How does one datamine a 3ds game?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Polarise, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Hello, how does one datamine a 3ds game? I have a 3ds with a9lh if that is step one.

2. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It involves reading different file formats, sometimes brand new ones. Basically, prior ROM hacking experience is required.

3. Ev1lbl0w

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    LOL datamine is not what you think. It's literally analyzing every piece of code and assets from the game to find hidden textures, mechanics and other stuff.

It's not for guys like you. Why would you want to anyway?

elBenyo likes this.
  4. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Well not step one since you don't even need a 3DS at all......... If you have to ask what data mining is than you probably lack the experience to actually "mine data".

elBenyo and migles like this.
  5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You pick up game
    Does game say 3DS?
    Yes? It's 3DS
    No: Not 3DS.

6. glong279

glong279 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    Hanoi
    Just answer the guy. I'm also pretty curious. After all, don't we all start at square one ?

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. Majickhat55

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Fair enough. Start by reading THIS. I'm just saying google is your friend. research how to decrypt and unpack ROM files and you'll be well on your way. Hence why the first response said rom hacking experience is necessary. How are you going to know where/what to do with the files you extract if you've never done it before? I agree we all start somewhere but you have to help yourself first. Spoonfeeding is pretty frowned upon, not to mention arrogant if someone expects someone else to walk them through a process they know nothing about.

Last edited by Majickhat55, Oct 19, 2016
    glong279 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  8. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    So just dump and decrypt the game for the romfs?

9. Majickhat55

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    More or less. Than you can figure out how to open new/existing file extensions to actually view the data when the majority of it is compressed. So you'll need to find a way to decompress the files, then find a way to open the containers to view the data. Data can be stored in a wide variety of file containers and another reason why people say data mining is for people with experience. The further you get, the more questions you'll have (obviously) and people may or may not want to hold someone's hand. Meaning if you're not familiar with how data works in general when it comes to ROMS, where it's usually stored, general file containers etc then you're going to hit a road block every step of the way.

It's basically like saying you want to build your own super computer without knowing the different components of the system and how they work together. Sure, someone could teach you the process but without understanding what you're doing they pretty much have to do it for you. My advice is to research information regarding ROMs and the type of info stored, the file containers that are seen often etc etc before you try to mess with them.

Zidapi and Blue_Mew like this.
  10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    datamine-> looking for stuff in game code

NOT determine -> to know if it's a 3ds game

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

"deep" "datamine" (a name that i just invented) also envolves searching in the "empty" areas inside the memory about leftovers, deleted content, unnused content etc...
    https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor is a site dedicated to researching unused and cut content from video games.

in a demo you can find lefovers and clues about the real game...
    for example the Pokemon list and sprites that are not used on the demo were retrieved from the demo

but yeah, this requires some programming and some skills and sometimes even build tools (when there is a new type of file\data)

11. glong279

glong279 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    Hanoi
    Thank you. And I did use Google, which led me here.