How do you split NSP and XCI files on Linux?

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
U never put XCI/NSP's on the sd card to begin with
It's how I install them. I copy the file from my computer to my SD card. I don't have a TV so plugging a USB into the dock is not an option. I could try a network install but don't see why bother figuring it out when I already have a solution which works.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's how I install them. I copy the file from my computer to my SD card. I don't have a TV so plugging a USB into the dock is not an option. I could try a network install but don't see why bother figuring it out when I already have a solution which works.
U don't need a TV or dock

manu_jedi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
To split, you can use Switch Army knife which works perfect with Wine and has a GUI if you prefer that.
But i too think dbi is simpler. First you don't need the dbibackend (but your error could be solved by installing pyusb), you only need a file explorer which supports mtp. Like nautilus with the gvfs-mtp plugin. Depending on your distribution the install steps are differently.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Upgrade your SD card to exFAT. Then you won't have any file-splitting nonsense. And don't buy in to the SD card corruption scares floating around here. As long as your card is formatted to 32K or 64K cluster size, and you don't eject the card while the system is still on, you'll be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Hayato213

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't format to exFAT alot homebrew don't support it and it's a fact there is sd card corruption as the driver for exFAT is shit on switch the one M$ gave to Nintendo

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrade your SD card to exFAT. Then you won't have any file-splitting nonsense. And don't buy in to the SD card corruption scares floating around here. As long as your card is formatted to 32K or 64K cluster size, and you don't eject the card while the system is still on, you'll be fine.

That is terrible recommendation.

Reactions: phiberoptix

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That is terrible recommendation.
Nah, not really. I don't buy into the fear mongering about exFAT. It's perfectly stable as long as you're not a dumbass about it, like ejecting the SD card while the system is powered on. That I would expect to corrupt the card for sure. But I've used exFAT with my hackable Switch since 2017, and haven't gotten it corrupted yet. Beats having to deal with file splitting any day.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, not really. I don't buy into the fear mongering about exFAT. It's perfectly stable as long as you're not a dumbass about it, like ejecting the SD card while the system is powered on. That I would expect to corrupt the card for sure. But I've used exFAT with my hackable Switch since 2017, and haven't gotten it corrupted yet. Beats having to deal with file splitting any day.

There is no need to use exFAT since you can do everything on FAT32, and beside you don't need to eject SD card when you can use hekate SD card mount feature, DBI MTP Responder, and Atmosphere USB Mounting feature. The problem with exFAT is that if it read or write is interrupted, it aborts the operation and the data is corrupted.

For exFAT There is no journaling, so any interruption during data transfer often results in corruption and data loss. Due to how homebrew work on the switch, and if you use homebrew a lot then that is a headache for exFAT. You can do everything you can do on exFAT with FAT32 so no need with exFAT, there was the case of file corruption with Pokemon Sword and Shield for users on exFAT when the game came out, no issue for people for on FAT32.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It literally corrupted for me first day i started modding my Switch. It's a fact the exFAT driver is bad. Also see: https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx/issues/161#issuecomment-419854684

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
use any of all available methods to install software to your console, like DBI's FTP/MTP responser. Goldleaf network installation, etc.

you have your NSP/XCI file on your pc and send to your console via installation with DBI by example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs