How do you make a blank DS Cartridge?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Etiennea, Jul 22, 2012.

Jul 22, 2012
  1. Etiennea
    OP

Newcomer Etiennea Newbie

United States
    I want to create a DS flash card, without the use of cards like R4 and Acekard, to just make the card itself and upload a ROM into the game and plays as if it was a real DS game (so no Flash Card menu) Sort of like as if I were creating pirated cartridges, although I'm interested in uploading homebrew software into the cartridge and print a fake sticker on it and stuff, just because I think that would be awesome to have an unofficial game work as if it was a real game. (My first idea is to use DSCraft)

Where can I find the plastic of a DS card with no sticker and how will I find the circuit board for it? If anybody could link me to sites or give me instructions on it, please tell me.

2. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    IIRC you need some hardware and also homebrew wouldn't work as the header would be rendered invalid.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/284743-how-the-hell-do-peaple-get-blank-ds-cards-not-flashcart/

4. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    As far as I'm aware, the tools for this aren't really commercially available. The easiest thing to do would be to modify a flash cart that has an autoboot feature available in the kernel for the last launched game or homebrew.

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I just came in here to say this. The only way you would be able to do this is...

1. If you had access to a factory that mass produces these clones AND
    2. If you had a way to not only sign homebrew code, but to burn the whole shebang onto a ROM chip.

If you want to settle for what you can get...Do as was suggested above and print out a retail-alike sticker to make it look like a real game.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I should also note and Fudge mentioned it in passing but modern DSi and 3DS flash carts (you posted this in the 3ds section after all) use a faked game ( http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ ) which means you will not be able to put a proper icon and text not to mention when Nintendo updates your "homebrew" cart will probably be blocked and you either lose compatibility or get trapped in the same cycle as flash cart makers.

Still if you just want it for the DS and DS lite the others have taken it but I also do not know of anything close to mass market or even something on alibaba you could use.

7. raystriker

Member raystriker Computer Hardware Enthusiast

India
    @Etiennea Are you talking of something like g6 real?

8. iSubaru

Member iSubaru Kitsune

Poland
    Signing the homebrew to have some code like RJF-K75 (or whatever the codes was) would be less difficult than other signing stuff for sure
    Theoretically it is possible but in financial matter, not worth in my opinion

9. blank2

Newcomer blank2 Member

Poland
    Diassemble orginal cart. Remove ROM. Solder wire and plug simple PLD or FPGA + FLASH for example 8Gbit SPANSION. Emulate adressing and read operation on PLD/FPGA. Done :). ............. first you must have logic analizer, big flash programmer (or bulid it) and more more skill :). ........... http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Gamecards