How do you feel about games needing "Updates" on release day?

How do you feel about games needing "updates" on release day?

• Yes, I like to invest in rare games with the possibility to sell in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Let's take the US - https://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?v=67&c=us&l=en . About 20 years ago, the GDP was about half what it is now, so on average and adjusting for inflation, people have twice as much money. Most new games are 60$, some 70. It's somewhat hard to find a proper source for old game prices, but looking around a bit gave me this: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...-in-the-day-487807/?page=1#js-message-3931567 . Looks pretty fair to me. Greece is just an exception because of the recent economical issues.
Greece isn't an exception, US is the exception. Pretty much any non-G8 country is paying considerably more for games. And it's not "recent" economical issues, things have been shitty in half the world for over a decade now:P

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about finish games, THEN release them. It's like if you bought a car and it had no steering wheel until you downloaded one on day 1.

Reactions: Hi-Dro

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Greece isn't an exception, US is the exception. Pretty much any non-G8 country is paying considerably more for games. And it's not "recent" economical issues, things have been shitty in half the world for over a decade now:P
It is? The Netherlands, where I live, has a very similar graph to the US and I certainly don't remember new games being significantly cheaper than they are now.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It is? The Netherlands, where I live, has a very similar graph to the US and I certainly don't remember new games being significantly cheaper than they are now.
UK, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, France, Denmark and Scandinavian ones didn't have that problem, but go look in Balkans and you will see that base salaries have almost halved after the countries joined EU (but Greece was hit the worst by this) with prices remaining same or being higher.

Hi-Dro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with your post and all, but I can't help but be kinda confused why you would exclude Capcom. What are those "obvious reasons"? At least on all the Capcom games I've played, they either had 2 patches tops (almost all their games on the 3DS) or not a single one (eg: MH3U), so I don't see your point. Konami I understand as they kinda abuse it sometimes on PES and games like that (which ironically could just get a yearly patch instead of coming out as a "brand new" game:P), but I've never experienced a bad case with Capcom and updates.

I was just testing you :rofl2:

Yeah okay you have got a point, usually they are fully optimised full games on release, So I will retract that statement. So I was wrong you got me there :whip:
I was thinking of the whole street fighter releases they do like 'Street Fighter II' II turbo, Street fighter V, Arcade edition etc , but honestly that's a totally unrelated subject and they were really the only Japanese studios that I could think of that come close to what I'm talking about.

The contrast between Japan and the west in terms of customer care is quite obvious and, the gaming industry is a great way to see the differences between the 2, and how they operate differently.
I know its a cultural difference, but they are the ones who made gaming affordable and what it is today, it wouldn't be a bad thing to follow their business setup. Minus the pachinko machines :rofl:

Twice the price? If you adjust for inflation, they aren't really more expensive, and if you factor in all the sales nowadays, they're actually pretty cheap.

Isn't this perhaps why they are still relatively cheap, or have stayed the same sort price despite inflation, because they shift about a million more copies of each game, than in the past, they can afford it, and still make monumental profits, bigger profits than ever before.

Last edited by Hi-Dro,
Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The contrast between Japan and the west in terms of customer care is quite obvious and, the gaming industry is a great way to see the differences between the 2, and how they operate differently.
I know its a cultural difference, but they are the ones who made gaming affordable and what it is today, it wouldn't be a bad thing to follow their business setup. Minus the pachinko machines :rofl:

Isn't this perhaps why they are still relatively cheap, or have stayed the same sort price despite inflation, because they shift about a million more copies of each game, than in the past, they can afford it, and still make monumental profits, bigger profits than ever before.
Decades ago, in order to make it possible to rival the American things, instead of the quantity over quality that companies in the US went for, they went with quality over quality, reason Japan grew so much economically and since it's been tested and proven for so many years in a row, most Japanese companies and studios are sort of hardwired in that line of though, reason why you hardly ever see Japanese studios milking franchises with only a handful notable ones (Final Fantasy, Winning Eleven, Street Fighter, etc.), whereas it's hard to name a game series from the US that hasn't been milked until it's utters dropped!:rofl2:

And yes, that was kinda my point, just not directly. Even if with inflation prices have remained the same, it still makes no sense for companies to be so greedy when spending 20 times as much money as they would spend to make a game back around 2008-2011 returns them well over a hundredfold income from basic sales alone, let alone micro-transactions and all that! Pretty sure they can spare some of that money for just 5-10 proper beta testers instead of random people on Steam with no knowledge of beta testing whatsoever in order to make their game be properly optimized and debugged by release!:P

PS: Don't know why you said that, but pachinko machines rule! (if you own one like my uncle has and get to play for free:P)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is the thread of the TL;DRs, not a single post is short, my eyes hurt.
Perhaps I will read them later when I have some free time. I'm at the office now:whip:

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it bothers me because it requires extra downloading time and storage, but not that much.

Regarding preservation of games for the future, I am sure video game museums and collectionists will find a way, fortunately preserving games for future generations in further millennia doesn't rest upon my shoulders and I couldn't care less.

I am bothered if I buy a game that feels not complete or is buggy, but I feel okay with it if they fix it via updates shortly after release.

I am specially annoyed and would consider not buying further games from a given franchise if they release games that feel incomplete and want me to pay for further DLCs to get an experience that feels somewhat complete.

I am OK with expanding the game through DLCs, as long as the games feels like a complete product without you having to buy them, and if those DLCs add interesting new bits, campaigns, whatever to the game, I feel that is totally OK.

PS: I would vote for "I am only annoyed if they don't release a complete game, they don't support it for free until it's bug free enough, or they want me to pay DLCs to get a game that feels like a complete product."

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1