How do I use .3ds files in homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HARDINGBOY, Aug 1, 2016.

1. HARDINGBOY
    OP

HARDINGBOY Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    United States
    How do I use .3ds files in homebrew? I have hundreds downloaded from online but how do I use them? I have a 3ds xl 11.0 with homebrew on it. Can I only do cia files? Do I have to convert them all to cia? What are my options. I added Fbi but does it only do cia? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    You can convert it to CIA with this.

3. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    But they can't install CIAs on 11.0 with homebrew only. They need custom firmware to install CIAs. So converting them is useless.

4. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat halloween peener

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    You cannot run 3ds ROMs on 11.0. You will need to downgrade via a hardmod or the DSi method, or buy a Sky3DS if you're interested in piracy.

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You need a flash cartridge. Without custom firmware, you can't use FBI or CIAs.

6. Kainonaut

Kainonaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    So what's the best way about getting CFW. I'm pretty new to this all, I've installed MenuHax on my 11-33u, just trying to install some CIAs now.

7. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Get a hardmod, find someone with a 3DS with CFW to use the DSiWare downgrade, or buy a new system and install CFW on it yourself. Those are your only options.

8. Kainonaut

Kainonaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    Bugger. Guess I'm waiting then, these things are almost always eventually exploited after a bit. I thought I was out of luck with 11-33u when I got this system — then bam, whaddaya know, a new Menuhax exploit. Thanks for the help.

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You'd be better off buying a new system on a lower firmware, and selling your current one (or sending away your current one to be hardmodded and downgraded). There may never be a kernel exploit on 11.0, or it may be a very long time. Think of all that time you won't be playing free games, or how much money you'll spend buying games because you get sick of waiting.

ih8ih8sn0w likes this.