How do I replace the SCDSOne's internal battery?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by billy3, Sep 24, 2009.

Sep 24, 2009
  1. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    Hi,

I have a Supercard DSOne v3 and want to replace its internal battery. It looks too small to be a standard watch battery. Does anyone know what type of battery (size? model) I would need to buy and where I could buy it?

Some background on why I want to replace the battery: I'm having random freeze problems (my post at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=174028). I tried some of the suggested fixes but still have this issue.

I don't get any problems when I use the TTDS firmware from Bliss's triple loader, and I suspect it is PSRAM related (even though I don't get a PSRAM error when I do the self-test). I tried the battery-short fix (http://forum.supercard.sc/viewthread.php?tid=3655), but am still getting the random freezing.

So, I'm guessing that it may just be a problem with the battery, so I want to try replacing it.

Thanks.

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Just buy a new SC, they're cheap as hell.

3. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    If I order a new Supercard I'm paying another $18+ and waiting at least a week. If I can buy a new battery for replacement I'm looking at ~$4 and can do it in a day.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    Hmm, you've got a point there...

Nevertheless, you can just sell the old one on eBay or something.

5. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    yeah then you buy a battery that does not fix it then your down $4

better solutions

1. TTmenu - V1.17a02
    2. YSmenu
    3. YSmenu with moonshell2 loader

if you cant live without the real time features get a cyclods evo it does all the dsone can but much much better

6. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    This. Or just buy a new DSOne.

7. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    That's the thing, one real time feature I really want is Real Time Guide. Real Time Save is a nice to have, but RTG is what I really care about.

The CycloDS is retardedly expensive. Sure it's good, but it's priced more than 2x everything else. If it was $25-$30, it would still be the most expensive cart, but at that would be reasonable and fair for the build and quality of the product.

Is there another, reasonable, alternative which has RTG?

8. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    What do you like so much about the RTG? If you want to know something, you can just look it up on the internetz.

9. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    I don't want it for simple walkthroughs, I want RTG for complicated sequences which need to be followed to trigger some optional events (there are a lot of those in Suikoden Tierkreis).

So anywho, are there any carts other than SCDSOne and CycloDS which do RTS?

And does anyone know what type/model the battery in SCDSOne is if I want to replace it? If I replace it and it starts working fine, it may help resolve such issues for other users as well.

10. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    EZ Flash Vi does RTS and RTG (not perfect as its still in beta)

11. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    m3i dose rts but not sure what rtg even it

12. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    real time guide, its like a walkthrough on your DS

13. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    It's not exactly like a walkthrough like Keeley said, but it's more like a text file you can add to your game and which you can then view in-game. It's useful if you're not in the vicinity of (someone with) a computer and internet, but otherwise it's not that great.

14. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    It comes in very handy for unlocking secrets, especially when you have to do a lot of running around or perform a sequence of actions to do so. I use RTG more than RTS.

15. peppers

Newcomer peppers Advanced Member

United States
    Why should he have to justify himself, This guys asked a question, the way I see it if you don't know the answer then there is no need to reply.

I don't mean to be rude but personally I find that quite annoying.

16. billy3
    OP

Newcomer billy3 Member

United States
    Thanks peppers. Good food for thought.

Just yesterday, I stopped to grab an egg salad wrap and asked the lady making the wrap to add in tomatoes. "We don't put tomatoes in egg wraps" she said. I asked her if she could put them in anyways and she replied "but that's no good!". Her coworker said to just put tomatoes in anyways and she started a fuss, turning to another coworker asking "do we put tomatoes in egg salad? it wouldn't taste good". Her coworkers, exacerbated, both said "if the customer wants it, just put it in", and I said "I like tomatoes in my egg salad".

She didn't like tomatoes with her egg salad, but it doesn't matter, I want them in mine. Similarly, a lot of people probably don't use RTG, but I happen to make more use of RTG than RTS and want that in my next flash cart (assuming I can't find a replacement battery for my SCDSOne).

17. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Actually, it can be really useful if you use it for something such as a translation guide for a game. That's how I played through Tales of the Tempest and actually understood the text.