How do i make english patches

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Macha, Jul 10, 2011.

Jul 10, 2011

How do i make english patches by Macha at 6:48 PM (4,338 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Macha
    OP

Newcomer Macha Newbie

Canada
    I've begun learning some japanese not that well but i will get better within the days
    i would like to make my own patches on a few games and would like to know which program
    that i would need to use for it. Also if possible a youtube video showing how to use the programs
    if not, then its okay i'll learn on my own. thanks

Games I'd like to patch [​IMG] :
    Inazuma 2: blizzard
    Inazuma 3: ogre
    Super robot taisen: The lord of the elemental
    Fairy Tail

2. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    How old are you, Macha ?

3. Macha
    OP

Newcomer Macha Newbie

Canada
    17, i've got a lot of free time until Uni starts

4. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    Ah, OK. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. gonzab

Member gonzab GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    I don't know what programs you need to use but if you want to translate some games it would be better if you gather a team because only one guy doing it will take ages. Good thing you're a translator, I think those are harder to find. Find some people to help with the hacking.

It would be really awesome if you could translate the Inazumas =D

6. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Well for starters, you won't learn Japanese within the days. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy.
    More like within the years, but the effort is worth it.

No one can show you how to use programs to translate the games you want because most likely, programs will have to be written for you for beginners. Some people choose the long route, translating via hex editor with hex codes, but that's very tedious.

There are romhacking documents you can read through, but note that romhacking does not have an easy button. You can't learn it within one day and please know that each game is different. What you might have done for one game probably won't be enough for the next game. The difficulty of one game may not be as simple/hard as the next game. Which is why romhacking takes a while to learn.

You can go to http://romhacking.net/start or you can go to the romhacking document by FAST that's stickied in the romhacking and translation section.
    http://gbatemp.net/t73394-gbatemp-rom-hack...ion-project-wip

Even with the two links above, you won't be able to learn everything. Searching through projects of other romhackers/translators and learning things from their experiences will help you greatly.

Keep in mind, translating and romhacking are very far from being simple and easy and that many projects take months to even complete.

Good luck.

7. Althaaaaaf

Newcomer Althaaaaaf Newbie

Maldives
    D'you still wanna do this? Cause I can help.