Homebrew How do I get seeds?

Fieryblu42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The usual way is to import but im currently using custom install as its faster and better. but when i go to install the cia for mario and luigi bowsers inside story + Bowser jr's Journey it needs a seed file and I have no clue where to get it as I can't import it without the game being downloaded. Cia is good as i've installed a different version before and this one is just missing a updated seedbin pls help.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you still have to use seeds? how will I know if a game requires one? I just downloaded bowser's inside story, because I just realized I didn't have it on my 3ds. it didn't come with a seed, so I don't know if it needs one.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my experience, if a game needs a seed to boot you'll get an arm11 error code when you launch the game. If you want to do it manually, there's a seed database somewhere just look up the title id of your game & then place it on the fbi/seed folder. There's also a "certain" site that uses QR codes and when you scan the QR code with fbi, it downloads the game & installs it directly to the home menu with the seed IIRC.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, I'm going to install bowser's inside story on Friday. I don't know how I had forgotten about that game. there was no mention of needing a seed with the game, and obviously, the game wasn't supplied with one. however, people say it works. I've yet to encounter a game that didn't work, but I didn't test every game I installed. doing that would take ages.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed this game earlier today. it didn't require a seed though. is there any way to determine if a game needs a seed instead of just booting up each one? I'm assuming that none of my games need them as they weren't provided with the download link or even mentioned from what I remember.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty much all digital, 9.6+ (and of course clean non-decrypted dumps) releases use seed protection

You need to check the CXI's header, outside of a hex editor there's some program that will do that for you but I don't remember whether that's gm9, ctrtool, or something else

FBI 2.something and above can install seeds (locally or online) even after installing the title, just select it from the titles section (iirc)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll do that if I run across any games like that: fbi -- install seed. I don't really remember any game download mentioning needing to do anything more. most of the games I've downloaded I tested, right after installation, and I've never had a problem. I tested bowser's inside story, which mentioned that it didn't need a seed, after installation. I also installed the 1.02 update, I think it was, since the game mentioned there being an update. game worked no problem. how do you fix a game to where it no longer needs a seed, to where it's just a cia install?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my experience, i had one instance when FBI couldn't download the seed file automatically when wifi was on, and i had to do it manually.
@godreborn "how do you fix a game to where it no longer needs a seed, to where it's just a cia install"
I don't think i understand the question, if the game needs a seed it will tell you as you'll encounter an error (mostly digital games & some Cia retail games), if not, then the game doesn't have a seed to be required in the first place (like the case in some early 3ds games: MK7, NSML.. etc).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can