How do I change where USB loader GX's system settings save?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by clandestine, Nov 15, 2015.

1. clandestine
    OP

clandestine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    Apparantly they save to the sd card (kind of dumb for A USB loader!).

How do I make it so that my configuration saves to my usb drive instead?

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Huh? The system settings are saved to the folder the dol file is in by default. No SD card is required.

3. clandestine
    OP

clandestine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    Don't think that's true. My DOL has always been on my USB drive and it saved to the SD card.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    this is true.
    If you make a "clean" first install, it will save to the dol's folder.
    the loader doesn't have a hardcoded path, it's using "current partition":\apps\usbloader_gx\

if you want to "force" the setting to USB, delete from SD, remove SD, launch the loader to create it on USB.
    next time you launch with SD inserted, it will scan all found partitions to load the settings.
    SD > USB partition 1 > USB partition 2 > ... > USB partition 8
    if you already had a setting file on SD and move the loader to usb, it will use SD setting file in priority even if you have another one on USB. So be sure to delete the setting file on SD and it will create it again on USB.

Or if you don't want to lose your current settings, edit the GXconfig.ini file on your computer to replace "sd" with "usb1" for USB first partition, "usb2" for usb second partition, etc.
    or edit all path directly in the loader's settings one by one but it's faster on computer or to delete it and recreated it.

Personally, I recommend using SD card to prevent issues (in case you use dual port feature).
    if you use only one port, then full usb is fine.

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Are you using the full channel of an older version of USB Loader GX? If so you should uninstall it and use the forwarder. That's likely the problem. The loader does default to trying SD then HDD when saving the settings if it doesn't know where it was launched from.