How did the Gateway brick 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dakaa, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Dakaa
    OP

Dakaa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    Just got my hands on an used 3DS running on 4.5.10. If I buy the Gateway cart, will I be able to apply the 2.0 update first before using it? so I won't brick my 3DS using whatever version that came with my Gateway cart. Does the Gateway play anything else beside 3DS games? Otherwise I might order the DStwo too. I'm asking this before I'm one button away from ordering the Gateway instead of MT.

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The GW patch gets applied through the launcher. The Gateway supports 3DS, DS, GBC, GB etc. ROMs (no GBA).

3. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    There was bricking code done in 2.0b2 in order to stop clones. It seemed like for some users the code triggered and caused a brick. Thanks to a user names gamesquest it's been found that running diagnostic tools greatly increases your chance of bricking.

You can just skip straight to 2.0 if you want.

4. Dakaa
    OP

Dakaa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    What do you mean launcher? Launcher on computer or 3DS screen? So when my Gateway arrives, I have to insert it into my 3DS regardless of what its version is (version that bricks 3DS)? Sorry, I haven't used a Gateway before.

5. Dakaa
    OP

Dakaa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    How do I skip to 2.0? What's the first thing I do when I get my Gateway?

6. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Just copy the firmware file (Launcher.dat) to your SD card (the one in the 3DS.) From there it's really just drag and drop.