How can I open .dat files?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by blueYOSHI, May 25, 2017.

1. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    Now, im using Tinke v0.9.2 and trying to rip some M&L Bowsers Inside Story Sprites and I only found .dat files (and some folders of course), how can I open them? Theres no text at the bottom or top that says what type of file it is, is there a way to open/extract these files?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    .dat is one of the most generic extensions going (probably second only to .bin), and any dev could have made up whatever format they liked and called it .dat.

Now you did say the game which is helpful, however I am not geared right now to pull apart DS games, I will say though that Mario games tend to get hacked a bit so you might want to see if there are some of those out there. My quick search did not get much but it seems others have looked at other games in the series.

Likewise if you are ripping sprites you can use an emulator too -- no$gba and desmume should have vram viewers you can rip things from, and you can always use cheats to make things happen sooner ( https://tcrf.net/Mario_&_Luigi:_Bowser's_Inside_Story even having some stuff from cheats that was cut from the final versions).

3. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    Ok, what exactly do I need to search for these hacked version? I didnt heard of that before (sry if its a stupid question... ^^')

DeSmuMe only shows blackscreens on "View Tiles" and "View Maps", I tried multiple stuff, sometimes it shows some weird mess of colors but never a real picture

4. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    I pwned U! is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
  5. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    I pwned U! likes this.
  6. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    I received some help from another Forum and they said it should be possible to do it with File (Download: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm)
    The only problem I got, I dont know how to use it since it immediatly closes itself, they said I need to use a command but I dont know which

I pwned U! likes this.
  7. I pwned U!

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I tested this on BObjUI.dat, and here are the results:

Attached Files:

8. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    I dont know if I did something wrong but I just got a one-line output that said that its a data file.
    I just opened CMD in the same folder the program is in and typed in "file [file, like "BObjUI.dat"]" and it gave that

9. I pwned U!

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I used "file -d BObjUI.dat" to get this output, but I have no idea if any of the debug information accurately reflects the contents of the file.

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    "{filename}: data" means basically "I have no idea", not surprising since it's likely a one-off format for a single game or maybe at best ten; I would also believe that most files in the romfs are false matches

The "file" program is awesome (try it on an entire rom...), but it's only as good as its database allows it to be

I pwned U! likes this.
  11. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    So, theres no way to open these files?

12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You would need a dedicated editor (which you may have the privilege of being the first and sole developer) ;)

If you're sure they contain sprites, try a tile editor like yy-chr (trying all the BPP settings), but no guarantees - they might well be encrypted, compressed, etc

13. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    I downloaded and opened it but there are weird characters everywhere, thats definitly not english! I already looked at the official Tutorial that says I need to rename a file but there are already mutiple language files, what do I need to do there?

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=88328#setlang
    Hoping this helps, haven't used it since... 2008?

15. blueYOSHI
    OP

blueYOSHI Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Swaziland
    Thats the tutorial I talked about, I changed the name but it still got these weird symbols

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Heres a picture, I want it in German (DES) and it didnt work

Attached Files: