How can I Block disc updates?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mayonaze, Jun 27, 2010.

Jun 27, 2010

How can I Block disc updates? by mayonaze at 8:42 AM (3,241 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. mayonaze
    OP

Member mayonaze GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How can I Block disc updates? Thanks to any reply's?

2. Tornadosurvives

Newcomer Tornadosurvives Advanced Member

United States
    Priiloader. You Can also block Online updates.

3. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    OK well I went to load priiloader from the Home Brew Channel, and come to the screen and press + and a to continue install and it say this!
    "IOS 36 Rev 3351
    ES_Identify failed, error 4294966279. ios36 not patched with ES_DIVerify? using CIOS (holding band then pressing + or -) will probably solve this. NOTE: You need CIOS for this.
    continue A=yes B=no Home=exit
    I just want to enable block disc updates and online updates! Thanks for any help!

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Well...did you click 'A' on that one?

Honestly...I don't think the installer can make things any more clear: your IOS36 isn't patched correctly to use, so it asks to use another cIOS to install it (I guess having Waninkoko's cIOS will do, but I'm not sure).

Priiloader really needs to be installed in order to do its thing. Once you got that done, shut down the wii and restart it while holding down the reset button. Instead of the system menu, you'll get the priiloader menu. There, you go to 'System Menu Hacks', and enable the "Block Disc Updates" hack (though I'd recommend also to enable the "Block Online Updates" one). Then click "Save", and you're done. [​IMG]

5. Everlasting Nigh

Newcomer Everlasting Nigh Advanced Member

United States
    If ya have Bootmii set as boot2 and priiloader isn't going, then try StartPatch? I prefer that one over priiloader.

6. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    I dont have bootmii as boot2, never installed I have to run as an IOS (I read this would have no brick protection!) So I kinda Have stalled on bootmii! However The priiloader I want for brick protection and to enable block disc updates & online updates!
    I didn't understand "your IOS36 isn't patched correctly to use another CIOS" I'm doing my best to read and understand this stuff. I had this modded ( i did not modd it myself) When looking through the ios it will not say cios correct? I think ios249 is a CIOS? I think i added this awhile backk to use the WBFS? Am I correct I can just choose IOS 249 and continue? This stuff freaks me out. THANKS GUYS AND TRY TO BE KIND

7. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    Try startpatch for 4.2u. Your system menu is 4.2U, Right?

8. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    Yes it is 4.2U
    This Has some good stuff but it does not have block online updates?

9. Burton

Puerto Rico
    I have the 4.2u and it has block online updates option.

10. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    OK Ill give it a try! Give me a little bit I'm slow

11. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    OK thanks allot that was pretty simple, just seemed so scary. (telling you the potential of bricking and what not) So does start Patch have brick protection? That's what I just did correct buy enabling block disc updates and online updates, those act as brick protection? Thanks again!

12. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...in a way, they act as brick protection, yes. But the only REAL brick protection is installing bootmii as boot2...which isn't an option, I'm afraid.

Not to worry, though: as long as you don't go around uninstalling IOS'es, you'll be fine.
    The best brick protection priiloader (or startpatch) has to offer is that you can run it without having to go through the system menu. If you install a bad channel, it may result in a brick (a banner brick). With priiloader, you can load directly into HBC, run wad manager and uninstall that faulty wad (thus solving your brick).

You read bootmii as IOS offers no brick protection. That's a bit shortsighted. It can make a NAND backup just as well, and though I've read some reports of restores that went bad, it's still better than nothing.
    No...the main problem with bootmii is that by itself, it can't be run without passing through the system menu (and HBC). And of course, that's not really an option if you happen to BE bricked.
    However...with priiloader, you can avoid that as well and also boot into bootmii. And while it is still not as 100% brick-proof, it's certainly convenient enough to use. [​IMG]

13. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    Wow!!! Ok Start patch worked for me will this work as well or do I have to have priiloader? If so ca I have both? And one more thing When I load bootmii, since I have the home brew channel already v1.0.6 and DVDx can I just skip write to the bootmii as IOS? Thanks

14. Burton

Puerto Rico
    You can have both apps but don't try to use the same hacks on both ie: if you enable block disc update on startpatch, there's no need to enable the same hack on priiloader and backwards. I heard ppl saying it causes conflicts to enable same hacks.

15. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    OK thanks.
    So First Run Bootmii as IOS, and back up nand to my pc. Then I will leave start patch alone ( which has disc & online updates blocked) , when I load Priiloader Have bootmii load before start menu? This way I can Restore nand if I can't access main menu or HBC if bricked. Is this correct??? I think I'm still a little confused Thanks

16. Burton

Puerto Rico
    About making the nand backup that's ok, leaving startpatch alone that's ok, as I do have bootmii as boot2 and I don't use priiloader I can't answer that last question but AFAIK you can't have bootmii running before the sysmenu if you can't have bootmii as boot2 but maybe I'm incorrect. Maybe someone else can clarify this specific point for you.

17. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    Yeah, if Bootmii is installed as an IOS, to get to it, you need to load priiloader, then goto the HBC, then load up Bootmii from there.

18. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    But Dont I load priiloader through the HBC I'm confused?

19. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    So there is no way to get to bootmii if the wii is bricked if I have bootmii as an IOS? Is there another way to load priiloader besides using HBC or am I confused? I have not Installed bootmii as an IOS & backed up the nand yet or priiloader, they are in the HBC channel waiting though! If I cant access Bootmii or priiloader without home brew channel then I dont really see the point, Because if the wii is bricked then I can't access the HBC anyways? Any suggestions is appreciated. Have 4.2U Would like to have back up nand bin on pc in case a brick happens, but have to run Bootmii as an IOS, which means I can't access Bootmii or priiloader without HBC, which would not be possible in the case of a brick?

20. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You should remove StartPatch, and install Priiloader 0.4. (And enable the update hacks)

Priiloader gives you the option to press 'reset' at boot time, go in to the priiloader menu, and then launch bootmii ios directly, or launch the HBC, or even launch another .dol, or launch the System Menu.

Priiloader is pretty much mandatory if you dont have bootmii as boot2.

Note: HBC does not lauch Priiloader, Priiloader launches the HBC (if configured that way).

PS: If you screw up and DELETE the System Menu IOS (IOS70 for 4.2), then you are up shit creek with no paddle.

Priiloader will allow you to get you out of most any other problem though.