How About a Forum For Noobs?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Kalisiin, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009

How About a Forum For Noobs? by Kalisiin at 1:26 PM (2,263 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. Kalisiin
    OP

Member Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A forum where more Noobs could be at and any of those "high-horse" older folk around here can just AVOID THAT FORUM ENTIRELY if they can't be nice to the noobs.

The older folk around here who CAN be nice and wish to be helpful, would be more than welcome, but the assholes can just stay the fuck out.

P.S DanTheMan...thanks for basically answering my question in the other thread about the supercard DSONE i. I didn't quite understand the write-up, which was why I posted the topic.

See, if we HAD a forum more geared for Noobs...noobs like me could ASK a question like that...and those who want to be nice and helpful, could come by and read it and offer their help...and those who are "ANNOYED" by noobs, and think they are so much fucking better than noobs...can just stay the fuck out of that Forum altogether.

That way, noobs wouldn't have to feel so threatened and unwelcome around here, and maybe the Forum would grow more...to the benefit of the whole community.

All of us had to start SOMEWHERE, right? So why be an asshole just because you are more advanced than someone else?

Why be a mean son of a bitch toward someone and drive them away? Maybe that person who is right now a noob...two years from now will produce an awesome piece of homebrew that will now never happen because some asshole drove that person away instead?

2. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    +1 thats a good idea there

3. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    you're saying that we should have a GBATEMP mini? too much hassle but I think it's more of a hassle if noobs will stay with the big boys. this is debatable.

4. ca_michelbach

Member ca_michelbach GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    nice idea but then wouldn't the high horse people be like "haha that noob forum sucks ass, look at them!" "you were a noob once too" "No I wasn't, I've always been awesome...penis comment penis comment penis comment RAAAAAH!"

so yeh...hope you get my point; i don't

5. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    The internet works differently, even noobs can be arrogant. And you are not gonna have a forum filled with random questions from xbox to ds are you? Plus, its been discussed several times before. And I remember the wii boards had the noob paradise or something liddat topic, maybe more of that instead?

WE NEED A MUSIC FORUM MOAR!!!!! [​IMG]

6. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    we already have threads for noobz - theyre called:

kingdon hearts 358/2 days release thread
    scribblenauts release thread
    Pokemon heart gold release thread
    pokemon soul silver release thread
    Mario and Luigi: Bowsers inside story release thread

7. Ireland 1

Ireland
    I see everyones point, suddendly its not such a good idea.

8. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    Yeah, well, I think it's a good idea.

I AM TIRED OF GETTING MY FUCKING FEELINGS HURT BY PEOPLE WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEMSELVES AND REFRAIN FROM BEING ASSHOLES TOWARDS NOOBS!!

I have just as much right to be here, and to ask questions as everyone else, and should be treated with the same dignity, respect, and courtesy...as anyone else...AS THE BOARD RULES DICTATE.

I swear to God I'm thru taking shit from anyone...from now on, anyone who hurts my feelings gets reported on.

No exceptions.

9. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I was not a noob, was I?

A Newbie topic for every forum seems nice but I dont understand the OP's idea so I apologize

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    [sarcasm]
    Ooh, I'm hurt by what you just said... [​IMG] I'm such a whiny little noob, who can't stop complaining about people complaining about my pointless threads... :whinewhine:
    [/sarcasm]

11. Domination

Singapore
    And may I ask how you are being treated badly? Like being asked to read and search yourself is not mean at all, I can find whatever stuff the noobs ask by sifting thru old threads.

And there is one thing. It will not help the community grow. We ahve nice people nice to noobs, but they just leave because they accomplished what they want, they never planned on contributing at all.

12. Ireland 1

Ireland
    loads of people in my school regestered for a patch for platinium and never came back

13. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    Reported.
    Next?

14. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    No...they way they are MEAN AND NASTY about asking me to do that.

The fact is..."SEARCH" is totally effing useless anymore...it usually brings back thousands of possibilities, 99 percent of which have NOTHING TO DO WITH what you were trying to search for in the first place!!

WHY can't someone just nicely say....hey, gee, this was already discuss...have a look HERE...and post up a link? IS THAT SO FUCKING HARD??

Is it so fucking hard to be NICE instead of an asshole?

Maybe I plan on "contributing" maybe not. It sorta depends on if I'm interested in helping the community out.

and if the community is gonna treat me like SHIT...then why would I want to help?

Now, if they are NICE...I might be more inclined to learn more and thus, one day, contribute something.

Hey...I self-taught myself fucking PHP.

I had never even LOOKED at code before in my life until I became an Admin on my own LOTGD game.

I taught myself, and learned, and made some contributions back, because people were nice and patient...and didn't act like assholes.

15. Domination

Singapore
    Erm yeah... reporting someone will not get the admin's attention, much. Its the mods who do the work., and that is pretty minor But some times, I can see why people are being assholes. No offense, but sometimes I do believe your tone is too serious and stern, most netizens are put off by this. Try sounding friendly and you won't see assholes.

Also about the homebrew, part: lol, no that won't work here. Most people who want to learn how to make homebrew would go to other sites, so no loss. Really, the noobs that leave are mostly those that never intended to join in the first place.

16. ca_michelbach

Member ca_michelbach GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Maybe you should learn how to use a search engine then...I seem to find things perfectly fine

17. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    You're confusing 'noob' with 'newb'. There's a distinct difference.

NEWB - A person new to a certain subject and therefore has little or no knowledge on said subject. If a forum search cannot answer his questions he will make a polite post asking for help. He will be grateful for any help he receives and personally thank the people who offer this help.

NOOB - A know-nothing arsehole too lazy/stupid/arrogant to perform his own forum searches. He will make posts DEMANDING the information he requires and not be grateful when he receives it. If other forum users will not appease his laziness/ego he will become verbally abusive.

If a forum was made just for noobs, the noobs wouldn't use it. Because they're noobs.

18. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The thing is sometimes people just get tired of the same old questions.....i know i do. A great deal of the time noobs get help but when it's the same old, same old and posed in either a lazy or a cocky way even the most patient tend to snap (again, i know i do).

The best advice i could give to a person new to a particular subject is this, ask your questions well. eg. -

Firstly it's THANKS IN ADVANCE! Gah that annoys me when people get that wrong. Second, can you see the inherent difference between those posts and why some people react differently?

If you expect people to put in the effort to help you just demonstrate that you've put in equal or greater effort first. Simple.

19. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I find that the search engine works rather well now we use Google, you just have to use it properly.

And the report button is there for a reason, folks, please use it.

20. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I used to use the Google one, but as of late it's become next to useless giving almost no relevant results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.