homebrewerz dont like "piratez"

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well... in gbadev.org .. gbatemp is considered warez site and rom monkeyz home. also if you hang at #gbatemp and then join #dsdev you got kicked. so why do we need homebrew news here? i think they're good but homebrew guys dont like us...

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country
Petty arguments like that are some of the most pathetic things I have ever come across.
We have homebrew news for everyone, regardless of whether they consider the rest of the site to be wrong or not.
I believe GBATemp should be neutral in that respect. We can openly discuss ROMs, but we don't give access to them or say that piracy is right/wrong.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Petty arguments like that are some of the most pathetic things I have ever come across.
We have homebrew news for everyone, regardless of whether they consider the rest of the site to be wrong or not.
I believe GBATemp should be neutral in that respect. We can openly discuss ROMs, but we don't give access to them or say that piracy is right/wrong.
To be honest, GBAtemp helped me out a lot when it comes to stuff like wondering how to burn ISO correctly etc. I remember asking how to make an ISO autoboot on my Dreamcast on a forum... I got banned....

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
We post homebrew news here because it's important. It's relevant to the people who visit GBAtemp.

If some people at gbadev don't like us well we're not forcing anyone to like us. GBAtemp does not host illegal material, we simply report things and let you make up your mind.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well... in gbadev.org .. gbatemp is considered warez site and rom monkeyz home. also if you hang at #gbatemp and then join #dsdev you got kicked. so why do we need homebrew news here? i think they're good but homebrew guys dont like us...
I heared they're a bunch of cry babies..
crybabyjh9.png

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Most homebrew devs are computer programmers and software developers, and they are violently allergic to the mere thought of "not being paid for your work."

They are willing to share their homebrew with the unwashed masses, but that's because they get paid for their daily work. If someone tried to piratize the code they write for a living, they would be very irritated indeed. And as a part of developer's solidarity, they feel the same way about software piracy of any kind. Saying it's okay to pirate somebody else's work, but not okay if someone pirated theirs, would be hypocrisy. If they want to get paid for their developing work (not counting homebrew), it's only fair that they support other developers in their attempts to be paid for theirs.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp is always gonna get pigeonholed, but it's really a lot more than rom release news.
General tech stuff, social stuff, homebrew, humor, etc...
I like it for the community. I've gotten a lot out of OTC/GFX/TESTING area. It's my favorite place to be around here (obviously.)

The homebrew section is sweet, and thanks to Squiffy & zatelli it's getting nice and fat.
If it was just about roms I wouldn't still be here...
..and damn sure wouldn't be moderating.
blink.gif

fintendo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland

To be honest, GBAtemp helped me out a lot when it comes to stuff like wondering how to burn ISO correctly etc. I remember asking how to make an ISO autoboot on my Dreamcast on a forum... I got banned....

I think it's great that you can ask about things like that here and it isn't considered illegal as it's definitely not. It's like someone goes to a shooting range and he's taught how to use a gun but nobody forces him to shoot people with it.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Saying it's okay to pirate somebody else's work, but not okay if someone pirated theirs, would be hypocrisy. If they want to get paid for their developing work (not counting homebrew), it's only fair that they support other developers in their attempts to be paid for theirs.
Well said!
grog.gif
It's obvious that the homebrew community would hate the piracy community, and that GBATemp would be bundled with them for providing a lot of information to aid piracy (even worse for the IRC channel, it's obvious what you're doing on there). But that doesn't mean the piracy community have to hate the homebrewer's back just to be vindictive. That's just dense.

The homebrewers are amazing people, they do some fantastic stuff to stretch the capabilities of the DS and even after putting all the time and effort into designing, coding and debugging applications they're still willing to share their efforts with everyone. And best of all, it's actually legal.

GBATemp contains a lot of "rom monkeys" who're only interested in pirating games, just look at the number of "rom x doesn't work on my y and won't save on my z! Patch pls!!!111!!!" threads. The fact that you're complaining about homebrew suggests you're one of them, and it's people like that that give us such a bad reputation (not saying we wouldn't have a bad rep anyway, that's the price we pay for doing what we do but you lot make it worse). Just because you're not interested in homebrew doesn't mean the rest of us aren't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative