Homebrew scripting language

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by cybrian, Oct 13, 2009.

Oct 13, 2009

Homebrew scripting language by cybrian at 6:03 AM (788 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. cybrian
    OP

Newcomer cybrian Member

United States
    I was thinking, perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to write a homebrew app that simply parses a text file containing a few commands of sorts and do them, basically like a DS version of a scripting language. I'm not talking anything overly complex; perhaps something inspired by BASIC could help. The thing that made me think of it is the fact that filesystem things can't be automated on the DS and it'd be a pain in the ass to pop out my MicroSD just to copy a file. Save game files in particular; Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver use the same save files so it's possible to use the same save between the two. Or having separate save profiles on a game and switching between them could be a lot easier. These would simply need duplicating/renaming files, but are a pain in the ass to say the least even with DSOrganize.

Here's to hoping someone likes this idea and can develop such a thing…

2. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    1. The file systems CAN be emulated on the DS. A lot of developers use it all the time.
    2. LUA already exists on the DS.
    3. So does Wee BASIC

3. cybrian
    OP

Newcomer cybrian Member

United States
    I know the file systems can be emulated on the DS, I meant that my proposed interpreter would use DLDI.

Wee BASIC and LUA sound really powerful and it sounds like they are exactly what I wanted. I guess I didn't search hard enough. Thanks!

4. Chase-san

Member Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

United States
    LUA is powerful enough to do most things I think.