Homebrew scripting language

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by cybrian, Oct 13, 2009.

1. cybrian
    OP

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I was thinking, perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to write a homebrew app that simply parses a text file containing a few commands of sorts and do them, basically like a DS version of a scripting language. I'm not talking anything overly complex; perhaps something inspired by BASIC could help. The thing that made me think of it is the fact that filesystem things can't be automated on the DS and it'd be a pain in the ass to pop out my MicroSD just to copy a file. Save game files in particular; Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver use the same save files so it's possible to use the same save between the two. Or having separate save profiles on a game and switching between them could be a lot easier. These would simply need duplicating/renaming files, but are a pain in the ass to say the least even with DSOrganize.

Here's to hoping someone likes this idea and can develop such a thing…

2. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    1. The file systems CAN be emulated on the DS. A lot of developers use it all the time.
    2. LUA already exists on the DS.
    3. So does Wee BASIC

3. cybrian
    OP

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I know the file systems can be emulated on the DS, I meant that my proposed interpreter would use DLDI.

Wee BASIC and LUA sound really powerful and it sounds like they are exactly what I wanted. I guess I didn't search hard enough. Thanks!

4. Chase-san

Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2008
    United States
    LUA is powerful enough to do most things I think.