Homebrew internet browser?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MyLegGuy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. MyLegGuy
    OP

MyLegGuy Moron

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    Would it be possible to make a homebrew internet browser?
    Well, of course it's possible, but a good one?
    I think one could be made that's faster than the current one because it doesn't have to be able to run while a game is suspended. But that's just a guess, I don't know anything about how the 3ds works.

2. nooby89

nooby89 A normal member with a stupid alias

Aug 18, 2015
    Canada
    I thinks yes...

3. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    I believe someone asked this not so long ago and one of the answers given is that it's not really an interesting project for devs to work on. So most likely it won't get done.
    In any case, like I said, that was just one of the answers. It might get done eventually.

4. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    Its definitely possible but unless there's a Dev takes an interest in making it won't happen. I have a half working port of luakit, but I lost interest.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The built in internet browser is actually not that bad, with the 3DS' slow CPU I don't think there would be much of an improvement with a homebrew one. It would have more RAM accessible which might help a little on massive web pages, but I don't think it would be worth the effort porting an existing browser and certainly not creating a new one just for the 3DS, especially not since modern browsers aren't designed to work well on low end systems like that so it would have to either be a port of an older browser or one designed for similar systems, or an entirely new browser.

lemanuel likes this.