Hacking Homebrew Channel Glitching

iceaura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I've done some searching and haven't found anyone with the problem I'm seeing so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

The problem:
When I load the Homebrew Channel the pages keep jumping back and forward (as in displaying the first page, skipping to the second page and then back again). I can actually still use everything the same (USB loader, emulators all other apps), but I just have to time it so that I hit the right app at the right time, which isn't as fun a game as it sounds
hate2.gif

When it occurred:
I was downloading 9 different things from the homebrew browser (which I have done successfully in the past) and it was taking a while so I left it and when I came back there was some error on the screen with a whole bunch of numbers. I figured something just went wrong with the connection or something, so I rebooted and now have the problem described above.

I have tried:
Using anytitle deleter to remove IOS250, 249 and 16 and re-installing the Homebrew channel (along with those listed below)
Changing SD cards, reformatting both cards
Using backed up files from a definitely working SD card
Taking the batteries out of the Wiimote (though they may have been running low, causing some problems)

Current stats:

System: PAL (Australia)

Firmware: 3.2E (downgraded from 3.4E)

Installed:

- Homebrew channel 1.0.1 via twilight hack
- IOS16-64v257-prod.wad
- cios_fix via custom WM
- IOS Downgrader
- downgraded to 3.2E via cIOS downgrader
- Starfall
- cIOS Installer
- cIOS_rev10 via network
- Install Shop IOS51
- WAD Manager 1.3
- USB Loader Forwarder
- probably some others too...

Please, any help would be appreciated, its driving me crazy!

Update:
New Symptons:
Just went to Homebrew browser (HBB) and went help and it is doing the same thing there - its jumping from page 1 to 2 and back!
It also occurs when I go to some of the Emulators, this is a really big problem for me now. Its as though the plus and minus button on the Wiimote are alternately being pressed (its not the wiimote itself, as I've had the batteries out).

madhutter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had a problem with the latest update it garbled my text. After my housemate said its bug free on his update i did the old fashioned download and copy to sd worked fine

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
does it happen anywhere other than HBC and HomeBrew Browser? If so, i'd say there's something wrong with the Wiimote. Do you have another one you could try?

beav1s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iceaura said:
(its not the wiimote itself, as I've had the batteries out).

have you tried a different wiimote? or make sure youve resynched it in addition to taking out batteries. If its affecting all apps and youve uninstalled/reinstalled everything, sounds like it must the wiimote itself. GL

iceaura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
madhutter said:
i had a problem with the latest update it garbled my text. After my housemate said its bug free on his update i did the old fashioned download and copy to sd worked fine

The first install of the HC channel was the latest version (1.0.1) and I had no problems until now, so I don't think the problem is there.

SifJar said:
does it happen anywhere other than HBC and HomeBrew Browser? If so, i'd say there's something wrong with the Wiimote. Do you have another one you could try?

I have seen this problem in HBC, HBB and some emulators. It does not occur during the normal Wii menu.
EDIT: Just played an original Wii game that involves the plus/minus and left/right on the D-Pad and it didn't occur. Looks like its only HB stuff.

beav1s said:
QUOTE(iceaura @ May 16 2009, 01:08 AM)
(its not the wiimote itself, as I've had the batteries out).

have you tried a different wiimote? or make sure youve resynched it in addition to taking out batteries. If its affecting all apps and youve uninstalled/reinstalled everything, sounds like it must the wiimote itself. GL

The machine and wiimote are only a couple of weeks old, so I don't believe its a hardware problem. I took the batteries out of the wiimote and synched a new wiimote to the system. Still the same problem. The problem even occurs when there are no wiimotes with batteries.

Thanks for your advice guys, keep it coming. I'll give anything a go.

memonopo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew Browser, to my knowledge, does not write to the NAND and therefore cannot do anything that one could call persistent. You might be led to think that a code dump could accidentally lead to altering of the NAND, but that's not the case. It isn't a "drive" that is always just freely accessible.

That leaves you with: A) the problem existed before or very soon after the HB incident in which case it would be slightly harder to determine what's go on due to lack of evidence, B) something on the SD card which I think you already ruled out, or C) a hardware problem.

In terms of hardware, the only thing I can think of is Gamecube controllers; do you have any plugged in? memory cards? Can you test other apps beside the aforementioned for similar results? Wasn't there a homebrew app waaaaayy early on that tested for button presses on the wiimote?

Can you post a video of the behavior?

I may be completely off-base. I'm anxious to hear the outcome either way. Must... solve... problem...

PS- You could downgrade to 3.2 and use anytitledeleter to delete unnecessary IOS's as it will not allow you to delete the System Menu IOS. Just do plenty of reading on this process first. For added protection install HackMii first and backup your NAND, which by the way, I hope everybody on this whole forum has done. I've been backing up with every key dumper and NAND dumper as they come out and always do it on Wii's that are trusted in my possession. Go backup your PC while you're at it!
smile.gif

iceaura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
memonopo said:
Homebrew Browser, to my knowledge, does not write to the NAND and therefore cannot do anything that one could call persistent. You might be led to think that a code dump could accidentally lead to altering of the NAND, but that's not the case. It isn't a "drive" that is always just freely accessible.

That leaves you with: A) the problem existed before or very soon after the HB incident in which case it would be slightly harder to determine what's go on due to lack of evidence, B) something on the SD card which I think you already ruled out, or C) a hardware problem.

In terms of hardware, the only thing I can think of is Gamecube controllers; do you have any plugged in? memory cards? Can you test other apps beside the aforementioned for similar results? Wasn't there a homebrew app waaaaayy early on that tested for button presses on the wiimote?

Can you post a video of the behavior?

I may be completely off-base. I'm anxious to hear the outcome either way. Must... solve... problem...

PS- You could downgrade to 3.2 and use anytitledeleter to delete unnecessary IOS's as it will not allow you to delete the System Menu IOS. Just do plenty of reading on this process first. For added protection install HackMii first and backup your NAND, which by the way, I hope everybody on this whole forum has done. I've been backing up with every key dumper and NAND dumper as they come out and always do it on Wii's that are trusted in my possession. Go backup your PC while you're at it!
smile.gif

Funny you should mention a video, I just made one before I came back here...

I think you might be right about the gamecube controller (if so, I feel pretty stupid and pissed at all the time I've spent trying to fix this thing, but at the same time, I hope its this simple). Unfortunately, I'm not at home to test it right now, but it will be the first thing I do when I walk in the door. I was downloading some emulators from HB, and around the same time I hooked up a GC to PS2 controller conversion cable... which worked, but I didn't notice anything until after the HB incident.

I'll let you know how things go. If that doesn't work, I'll try your other suggestions. I knew there would be someone out there that would just HAVE to solve the problem, lucky for me.
biggrin.gif

iceaura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just unplugged the controller, and the problem has gone!
yay.gif

Does this happen to everyone else when they plug in a Gamecube controller? Do you think if I used an original controller the problem would not be present?

Thanks memonopo and everyone else for your help, I really appreciate your suggestions and quick replies.

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry dude.. but this is the funniest shit I have seen all day!

as far as the controller converter... I don't understand why you would want to use your ps2 controller on your gamecube.. but hey, to each his own... How are the buttons mapped out? Since ps2 has r1 r2 r3 L1 L2 L3 AND gamecube has L R and Z... I mean I understand a b x and y.. and the two thumbsticks.

I would say just troubleshoot it and try another ps2 controller!

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it's the adapter that causes this problem. just get a GC controller. The official ones have no issues for me on HBC or anything. unless the app is using an old library that has a bug that causes issues with GC controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM