Hacking Hen 1.6 vs Hen 1.8

RyoX9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any difference aprat from remote install and external HDD support? i have hen1.6 just wondering if its worth as ps4 crashes at times.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You mean the Vortex HEN modified by Zecoxao?

It should also add redirection of logs from UART to klog, but it was released only as a binary so who knows what/if was changed.

Anyway, you should assume no stability fixes.

Reactions: RyoX9 and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean the Vortex HEN modified by Zecoxao?

It should also add redirection of logs from UART to klog, but it was released only as a binary so who knows what/if was changed.

Anyway, you should assume no stability fixes.

Source is available it if you want it :)

HEN 1.8 = HEN 1.7 + self spawn and klog patches > HEN 1.7 = HEN 1.6 + external hdd shellcode.

No stability fixes yet, but rumour has it Specter/Zeco might rework some stuff to fix memory cleaning bug which causes KP.

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: Sparkss and RyoX9

Peluki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any difference aprat from remote install and external HDD support? i have hen1.6 just wondering if its worth as ps4 crashes at times.

When I was running one of the generally available exploit loader systems, I used HEN v1.6 and never had any issues with it whatsoever! I now use my own system, and apart from checking out Versions 1.7 and 1.8 I am unable to comment on the long term stability of these. Unless you have a particular need, I would stick with the well proved v1.6, and wouldn't think that any PS4 crashes would be anything to do with HEN v1.6. Depending on the type of PS4 crashes that you are experiencing, it may well be advantageous and worth reading the post a little lower down ie. '5.05 exploit first try keeps rebooting my console' by pustal - Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: RyoX9

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Naah, I couldn't find the sources after a quick web search, but I'm not so interested, I only wanted to diff the two versions... ^__^;

I got to src from Zeco, gave it straight to stooged, he added VR to hen 1.8, and will be posting src up soon.

I also gave it to c0d3m4st4 for a “lite” edition but we will see.

If you ever did want it though I can pm you a link :)

Reactions: MostlyUnharmful

RyoX9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just for info i have been using VTX 1.6 not mira and from Cache not ESP device or internet. well after reading the replies i dont think its worth upgrading to 1.8.

nswuser007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiiwii that guy sean torres i think it was had a video of the new thing they had where you could bypass app2usb to use the hdd like you are saying on the new version however they removed the video and since then I had no idea what to do , can you link me to a video or tutorial to accomplish the usage of the xternal without the app2usb feature that took forever and while it was cool it took a long time to use.

this new method seems ideal

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@nswuser007 The USB extended storage support was first introduced with HEN v1.7 (still works with v1.8)

Plug in a USB drive.
Go to Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices
Select your USB Device.
Select 'Format as Extended Storage'

You can now run/install/move games on the USB extended storage drive.

Make sure you use at least Hen v1.7 (v1.8 works fine too) when using extended storage.

You can even plug the USB drive into another PS4 console that is running Hen v1.7/v1.8 and use the same installed games from the USB drive.
(make sure to run Hen first if sharing the USB drive!)

Last edited by Leeful,
Reactions: Mo Poge

RyoX9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@nswuser007 The USB extended storage support was first introduced with HEN v1.7 (still works with v1.8)

Plug in a USB drive.
Go to Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices
Select your USB Device.
Select 'Format as Extended Storage'

You can now run/install/move games on the USB extended storage drive.

Make sure you use at least Hen v1.7 (v1.8 works fine too) when using extended storage.

You can even plug the USB drive into another PS4 console that is running Hen v1.7/v1.8 and use the same installed games from the USB drive.
(make sure to run Hen first if sharing the USB drive!)
can i used the same method to backup games for HDD upgrade? ( the games are FPKG)
asking because in your tutorial you have mentioned to back up games via ftp if upgrading HDD.

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can i used the same method to backup games for HDD upgrade? ( the games are FPKG)
asking because in your tutorial you have mentioned to back up games via ftp if upgrading HDD.
I have not personally tried it but I cannot see why it would not work.

Once the games are installed on the USB drive they can be used on another PS4, so I imagine if you upgraded your internal PS4 HDD it would still work.
When you have upgraded your internal HDD you could either move the games back to the PS4 or keep them on the external USB.

Recently stooged released a PKG backup tool that copies any pkg from your PS4 to a USB Drive.
It works like app2USB did but it only copies the pkg to a USB drive.
This option is perfect if you want to keep a USB backup of all your pkg games.

Last edited by Leeful,
Reactions: RyoX9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE