Help with updating

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by 1cowabunga, Nov 24, 2010.

Nov 24, 2010

Help with updating by 1cowabunga at 12:47 AM (780 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. 1cowabunga
    OP

Newcomer 1cowabunga Member

United States
    Hello, I have not updated anything on my softmodded wii for a while and I am really behind on what I need to do. I have system menu 3.4 and use USB Loader GX with cIOS r17. I want the latest and greatest set-up in order to backup and play some of the newer games that are out (can't play Metroid: Other M as well as a few others from my HD). Some sites I have visited say to download the official nintendo update first and then softmod everything again (this scares me). [​IMG] Other sites say to never update your wii if it is softmodded.

What advice do you have for me? [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. rahoul102

Member rahoul102 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hi 1cowabunga,

well, if you want to update the wii and not have any hacks taken away, you could try using MMM or Multi-Mod Manager.(click on my name and go to the first thread). but there is really no point of updating b/c i still have 3.4 and i can play new games.

the latest cios is cios r20b (google it). just install the same way you installed cios r17.

I'm not good with USB Loader but i can fix up some settings in NeoGamma to make games like Metroid: Other M run without errors or problems.

Rahoul102

3. 1cowabunga
    OP

United States
    Thanks rahoul102 !

I was mistaken; I only have cios r14. I tried to install r20b and keep getting an error.

Here's what it is telling me:

started with IOS249

Select base IOS version: IOS57 v5918

Custom IOS installation slot: IOS 249

Installation mode: WAD installation

Source device: SD Slot

...reading IOS57-64-v5918.wad
    ERROR! (ret= -1)

I have IOS38-64-v3867.wad in the root of my SD card as told to by this guide --> http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/cios/waninkoko

4. 1cowabunga
    OP

United States
    Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to put the latest IOS38 wad to use as base. I think it installed correctly. Is there any way to find out if it worked for sure?

5. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, try it out and let us know how it worked. :-)

I personally went from 3.2 to 4.2 using this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below

Takes about an hour or two (if you read careful and realy take your time for every step) and is worth the effort.

Metroid Other M might take some additional googling after that.

6. 1cowabunga
    OP

United States
    It froze up while installing the cIOS. stuck on "finishing installation..." or something like that. So I wasn't sure if it worked or not. I ran the installation again and it finally said it was complete. Metroid works perfectly now! Thanks for your help.